Ultimate Subaru Message Board

broken spark plug inside. 99 outback

I just changed sparkplugs on my 99 OBW, so I may have some advise. If you broke the porcelain part off the sparkplug, you should be able to reach in with an angle head needle nose pliers. I assume if on the driver's side, you have removerd the car battery for access, or removed on the passenger side, the air intake box and large plastic tubing to gain access. With porcelain part removed, the metal base can be removed with an ordinary sparkplug socket attached to a very short extension, attached to a drive handle.

If a part of a spark plug is actually broken off and fallen into the cylinder your only two choices are either trying the magnet or pulling the head.  There is no place for the part to go other on top of the piston or along side it, either case it can cause problems. 

Can you see the spark plug hole into the cylinder or is it still blocked from view like part of the plug is still in the head?

If a part of a spark plug is actually broken off and fallen into the cylinder your only two choices are either trying the magnet or pulling the head.  There is no place for the part to go other on top of the piston or along side it, either case it can cause problems. 

Can you see the spark plug hole into the cylinder or is it still blocked from view like part of the plug is still in the head?

It is not possible to see "look into" the spark plug hole on a 99 Subie while the engine is still in the car. The engine would have to be removed from the car to do that.

It is not possible to see "look into" the spark plug hole on a 99 Subie while the engine is still in the car. The engine would have to be removed from the car to do that.

If I would of thought that something had fallen into the cylinder or something had broken off and fallen into it I would do everything that I could think of to see inside that cylinder including going down to the nearest Harbor Freight and purchasing a fiber bore scope to investigate it further. 

I hate pulling heads when you don't have to.