Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I would actually check and see if there is a rebuild shop in your area, there should be.  Then have them rebuild the one that you have.  You'll have a better alternator than any parts house would sell you. 

Now after saying that, the last alternator that I had to buy at a parts store got returned the next day and then the one after that.  It took me 4 alternators before I got one that would actually work. 

The only reason that I bought it at a parts house is because I was out of town and needed it now. 

• Like 1

In direct answer to the question, I have bought one alternator form Advanced Auto as well as 3 or 4 starters for 90's subarus.  I haven't had a problem with any of them although I think it's a good idea to keep track of the mileage and replace at 100K.  I just had a failure on a 95 auto with 150K that I had bought used.  The old alternator was not OEM and didn't have any identifying logo on it.  So it seems like the generic stuff can't be trusted.  I kind of trust Advanced Auto rebuilt stuff.

Edited by mikec03

In direct answer to the question, I have bought one alternator form Advanced Auto as well as 3 or 4 starters for 90's subarus.  I haven't had a problem with any of them although I think it's a good idea to keep track of the mileage and replace at 100K.  I just had a failure on a 95 auto with 150K that I had bought used.  The old alternator was not OEM and didn't have any identifying logo on it.  So it seems like the generic stuff can't be trusted.  I kind of trust Advanced Auto rebuilt stuff.

I, too, have had good luck with Advance Auto starters and alternators over the years. AA always has coupons available on line to cut cost. Couple weeks ago, I had the alternator go bad on wife's 98 OBW, with 1995 2.2 motor. I was able to buy on line, and with coupon, cost was about $80.00. Part was in stock, for quick, and easy pick up. I guess I am lazy, as I did not want to find brushes, and try to do my own rebuild. I just don't have enough time and energy for that. An alternator swap out is easy and quick on a Subie.

SUBARU

Subaru Reman alternators for that year go for about $85 at the dealer. Order online if your local dealer can't go that cheap.

That and I've also had good luck with junkyard alternators. Find one with the sticker that says Remanufactured by Subaru on it.

Part number:

23700aa34ara

$78 Retail list.

Edited by Fairtax4me
  • Like 1

I have had hit or miss luck with parts store alternators.  Last time I got one at Auto Zone and had to return it. It would get hot as if the bearings were bad. The clerk insisted it couldn't be bad as the sticker said it was triple checked in Malaysia.  He wasn't going to exchange or refund.

Then I insisted he put it on the tester and spin it up. He got a red face when it failed. I got my swap and it is still working today. 

I have had hit or miss luck with parts store alternators.  Last time I got one at Auto Zone and had to return it. It would get hot as if the bearings were bad. The clerk insisted it couldn't be bad as the sticker said it was triple checked in Malaysia.  He wasn't going to exchange or refund.

Then I insisted he put it on the tester and spin it up. He got a red face when it failed. I got my swap and it is still working today. 

Well, so much for the sticker saying the unit passed "triple checked in Malaysia". Maybe going to a quad check system will improve quality. Hard to believe a reman shop in Malaysia would export their work to the USA. You would think that shipping cost would eat up too much of their profit.

All the parts stores sell reman products with varying degree of creating a quality product. Just impossible to learn what company did the reman work. Over the years, I have heard a number of stories of remans returned to AZ, but not so much so to Advance Auto. It has been my experience that all the parts stores have no problem in swapping out a defective reman product under warranty, usually with no questions asked.

That's what i do, the Subaru units. 

Auto parts store alternators are not that great quality - they don't replace the VR, so you're still getting a used part on a part that presumably has failed before (requiring rebuilt).  They're a great fit plenty of times but I try to avoid them if reasonably possible.