Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 GL Wagon CV Axle play?

ajp

I searched, and didn't find the answer.  I know the CV is going, passenger side front boot cracked about 5000miles ago and is clicking, but just sometimes. All of a sudden, last night after getting off the highway, the car started pulling really hard to the left and it felt like there was wobble or play in one of the front tires, it felt like one wheel was just drifting around. But ONLY at low speeds, and disappearing with acceleration. above 40 it's fine.  I was a little scared to drive fast fearing a wheel falling off or something and limped home.

Today, I looked under the car, wheel weights are on, and no visible issues with steering components tie rods or axles.  What can cause this? Is it safe to drive to the parts store, or am I pushing it? thanks USMB

I wouldn't hobble to the parts store until you know what broke. Did you look under both sides of the car or just the side with suspect axle? If you think one of the tires has excessive play, it'd be worth it to get the front of the ground and shake each tire to see which one. That'd be the best place to start. 

• Like 1

update. the passenger side wheel has a little play side to side, but not from top to bottom. it has play when my hands are at 3-9 o'clock. I looked at everything under there, and the only thing that seems to be absorbing this movement is the axle.  so...my best uneducated guess is that the cv joint is toast, and I am getting the pull to the left from one wheel drive, and the bad axle operates smooth at higher speeds because...??? its bound up at lower sppeds and starts working again at higher ones? any speculation is welcome here. thanks

Well hopefully someone who knows more than me will chime in, but I really doubt thats an axle. I'm not positive but pretty sure that if one axle broke the other would loose drive also. Do both wheels turn when you give it gas (it'd need to be up on blocks). I'd be more suspect of something like a ball joint or tie rod end. But again, hopefully someone else will pipe up and know rather than speculate. 

• Like 1

Hard to tell from here... I have had a bad axle make a pulsing pulling when it got bad enough.  If the wheel has play, that's something else.  The CVJ could strip out, and the wheel bearings would still be solid.  But you would not be going anywhere with one side open / unloaded.

• Like 2