Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2004 WRX Hybrid STI swap? short block differences

My friends WRX's EJ205's getting a little tired, it's got some idle and stalling issues and deffinetly does not run exactly like it should, oil leak started recently and it does burn a little too. It does remain drivable but it has a little over 160k on it now. Also timing belt is due in 40k miles. She was talking bigger turbo and intercooler which I don't think would be kind to the worn 2.0L... More or less she relies on me to take care of this car and when something needs done or she wants something for it, we go for it..

I told her that a Hybrid STI swap would be the best idea, and buy the correct size turbo, STI take off Up and Down pipes, run stock STI boost pressures and accept what that will give as performance. It won't wear the engine excessivly as an over boosted 2.0L and she will get a fresh engine with a little more punch.. Yea, if we had $6-7 grand for non stock internals we could get a lot more out of it without worry, but I think starting with an STI at that point would be a better option.. The car is solid with no rust, so it's worth it

I notice that, Subaru sells a brand new shortblock listed for 2008+ STI for about $1,800. Most rebuilders list 2004+.. Will the brand new short block work? I know that the 2.0L heads need reworked for use with the larger bores ( or do they really ? ), and that tuning is required to run it..

Can I put an N/A 2.5L in it as an interim engine while the EJ205 heads are sent out for modification? I know it would take a regular Y pipe and exaust interim pipe. But just so she had wheels

Edited by matt167

Rough idle and stalling issues are due to vacuum leaks and/or sensor issues or something that's relatively simple to fix.

Turbo engines are going to consume oil, that's just the nature of their design, but an old PCV valve will increase consumption.

How about a tune-up?

160k is decently high mileage for a turbo engine, but it's no death sentence. Most people here are gonna tell you to fix what ya got.

Or you could be honest and just say you want MOAR POWAAAHHH!!!

In which case, you can get a JDM drop-in 2.0 for about a grand.

You could probably make the NA motor work, but the hassle isn't worth it.

Takes like 2 days for a machine shop to machine and valve job a set of heads. You're gonna spend probably $300-500 per head to have that done.

Plus gaskets, you're close to $3000 already. Throw in a $500 tune, bigger turbo $300-600, up/down pipes... Gonna spend 5 grand before you know it.

Low mileage JDM 2.0 you can up the boost as is and get plenty more power and still have a reliable engine.

Well, yea she wants more power. I know the EJ205 has to be getting tired. I could do leakdown and compression tests to really see where it is, but at this point, I think trying anything big is gonna end up with broken parts... I'll have to look into the JDM 2.0 turbo.. Do they need an ECU change? I read the heads are great but they need a jdm ecu...

Edit.. Looks like the STI 207 has the AVCS, requires AVCS wiring and ECU change. May or may not talk to OBDII scanner ( we need OBDII for state inspection ).. Solution would be use 207 short block and 205 heads, and boost it more or plug AVCS and run non AVCS cams if they are even available.. Current cost for the engines, are $2k min for a V7

EJ205 is just like USDM 205. Cost up to $1,800 shipped with 45k miles. Not really any upgrade. just replacement. From what I've also read, a 1999-2001 EJ222 short block also drops in and is quite common for getting a blown WRX back up and running.

Edited by matt167

EJ205's spin bearings, blow HG's and the TD04 is usually worn-out @ 125K, esp. if driven like a lot of WRX's have been.

Getting the used/JDM 205 is a crap-shoot as I've read of a few (on NASIOC @ least) that were fubar'd when rec'd and had to be returned/replaced...and I'm NOT a fan of any used/unknown history -  turbo Subaru block.

You don't need a JDM ECU unless you WANT to run the AVCS version (The USA ECU will still run it w/out AVCS activated), and then you need the extra harness, etc. that goes with it. You may need to swap your IM over to the JDM, in most cases and may need to swap cam/crank sensors. There's a lot of (mis)information on NASIOC about this so read carefully and search...a LOT.

Yes, you can use the EJ22, but I'd trust the '90-'96 the best>>'97-'98 kinda>>'99+>>less so. The pistons in the earliest years are supposedly best for boosting, and slightly lower CR....but I wouldn't be putting anything above an STI VF39/43/48 on it and stock boost - WITH A GOOD TUNE.

Best is going to be a new block. If you use the 2.5, yes the heads should be port matched - not cheap. 

I'd lean toward a new 205 block, R&R heads, STI TMIC, turbo and injectors, w/a quality tune. Should see a noticeable bump in response, and it won't be a ticking time bomb. 

Remember the WRX trans is NOT an STi 6-speed...so be...aware.

GL,

TD

Edited by wtdash

We don't want to exceede what the trans can take, which from what I've read is right around 300hp but not if it's down low... This car was stock when we picked it up. down to a factory exhaust. Only Mod that was done was a set of gauges in the clock place.. I put an N1 Copy Catback on it to keep her happy since it was too quiet for her. That's pretty much where it is right now. It hasn't really been abused, she does not treat it bad and it's been reliable for her. Had a freak thing happen once where the battery went dead but nothing more than that.

I don't get how a Turbo shortblock is $1,800 and a replacement shortblock for my EJ251 is $2,700