Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Head Gasket replacement in Twin Cities, MN suggestions.

Hello Subaru Friends, 

I am finaly taking the step to address the slow leak that I think has been in my head gasket(s) for some time.  I have a little over 166K miles on y 2005 outback 2.5i ( I think.  its a wagon with leather and all that jazz so 2.5 something.) 

Anyway I am just curious if anybody has ideas on places i can go for reasonablly priced service.  I'd rather not go to the precision tune shop I go to.  Although they are very good I think I will be paying more there.  I also have some issues with speed sensor or whateve the dash code. error 55 means. Not sure if it is 55 or speed sensor.  My cruise is out either because of that or something else.  i do know my ABS light does com on at times.  can't recall if always I have not been driving it much lately. 

I appreciate all ideas and suggestions.  Knowing the attention to subarus around this place and detailed attention at that I would also consider an independent service job as well (i.e.  home/side work)

Thank you all,

Craig  

I would ask around at the local auto parts places, not sure what you have there; Napa, Auto Zone, Advance, as well as area junk yards.  They know who is busy, good, as well as those who are expensive or shoddy.  Also no harm in getting written estimates as well as specifics on how thorough they will be with the job.

With leaking HGs, are you implying a slow coolant leak?? If so, have you been using Subaru coolant conditioner, sold by the dealership. The product is specifically designed as a stop leak, and reportedly works well. No need to replace HGs, if the conditioner will fix the leak.

Morries Minnetonka Subaru has many Subaru enthusiasts in the parts and service departments, and if you mention the Minnesota Subaru club (www.mnsubaru.com, if you're interested), you get 20% off parts and 10% off service. It's not much, but it helps, and you know it'll be done right.

I don't think a slow coolant leak.  I have not heard of any mixing been seen.  It was initially thought to be a matter of a leaking rack which was an issue and has been replaced but still told it is a HG. 

so thanks for the suggestions.  I figure a 2k fix for this could be the final outcome although that would likely include spark plugs and some flattening of heads  I think I was told. 

I don't think a slow coolant leak.  I have not heard of any mixing been seen.  It was initially thought to be a matter of a leaking rack which was an issue and has been replaced but still told it is a HG. 

so thanks for the suggestions.  I figure a 2k fix for this could be the final outcome although that would likely include spark plugs and some flattening of heads  I think I was told. 

That's what we quote for head gaskets up here at the dealer in Duluth. And that leans a bit on the worst-case side of things. I assume that Morries' MNSubaru discount is 10% off their hourly rate, at the raw time it takes to do the job, which is usually less than book time.