Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1994 Legacy transmission. I NEED HELP

Hello! I have a 94 legacy wagon (non turbo) with around 211,100 miles on it. The automatic transmission is acting up. It shifted a little hard, followed by a spike, then fall in RPM. It rolls while in park, and there is  ticking noise when the rpms go up around the 3 mark. jerks into gear from park, and ticked when i moved it on to level ground. Any idea what it could be? Currently unemployed, and dont have money to chase issues! Thanks in advance

My money is on the torque converter.  If it shifts normally otherwise, that is.  They do go bad and most people start chasing other stuff without knowing what they're doing.

Emily

whenever i let off the gas on the way home, and gave it any gas it shifted hard, and had a few hard shifts on the way home. I have no money to fix this right now. I am beyond stressed

^+1

Also, If it's moving while in Park I can think of 2 other options:

1. Parking pawl INside the rear of the trans is broken....not an easy fix (for most) and probably more than the car's worth.

2. One of the front CV axles is broken. When it happened on my '96, the car wouldn't go over 35mph, and would roll away w/out the parking brake on.

Test it by putting in gear, w/foot on brake and have someone look to see if the axle is spinning on either side of the transmission....as the brakes will keep the tire-side from spinning.

GL,

TD

• Like 1

^+1

Also, If it's moving while in Park I can think of 2 other options:

1. Parking pawl INside the rear of the trans is broken....not an easy fix (for most) and probably more than the car's worth.

2. One of the front CV axles is broken. When it happened on my '96, the car wouldn't go over 35mph, and would roll away w/out the parking brake on.

Test it by putting in gear, w/foot on brake and have someone look to see if the axle is spinning on either side of the transmission....as the brakes will keep the tire-side from spinning.

GL,

TD

Had my uncle come look at it. It was the CV axle! Ill be re-doing both on the front on Monday. Thank you!

FYI - there are different ways to replace the axle, but you must gain clearance by disconnecting the ball-joint, top strut bolt, or maybe another way.

I always remove the TOP 'camber' strut bolt (loosen the bottom) and to AVOID needing an alignment I always mark its location PRIOR to removing it, and just put it back where it was. It's always been close enough to not mess up the alignment.

And don't use too small of a punch to remove the roll pin on the inner part of the CV...it'll stick in the hole and you'll be....upset.

GL, 

td

post-3804-0-56548700-1459297466_thumb.jpg

Edited by wtdash

FYI - there are different ways to replace the axle, but you must gain clearance by disconnecting the ball-joint, top strut bolt, or maybe another way.

I always remove the TOP 'camber' strut bolt (loosen the bottom) and to AVOID needing an alignment I always mark its location PRIOR to removing it, and just put it back where it was. It's always been close enough to not mess up the alignment.

And don't use too small of a punch to remove the roll pin on the inner part of the CV...it'll stick in the hole and you'll be....upset.

GL, 

td

My Uncle has a 93 legacy wagon, so hes going to help me get it done! thank you