Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Subaru Legacy New clutch slipping in 1'st gear

I pulled the motor to do various things and also put a new exedy clutch and flywheel and now the car sort of shakes and studders out of first gear and while in reverse as if the clutch is slipping or something. It's perfect once out of first or reverse, it's just when I'm taking off from a stop. What could be causing this?

Need some clarification. Does this happen while your foot is on the clutch or after you have taken your foot off of the clutch?

If the answer is "after" or "either", Is it at very light throttle neither accelerating nor decelerating and feels like a giant has the car by the bumpers shaking it back and forth?

if "yes" then it's (largely) a matter of driveline slop with some tune issues (sprung clutch hub, soft engine/trans mounts, all the little bits of play in all the axle joints, bad suspension bushings can contribute too). What happens is if you have a lot of torque, you just push against the limit in one direction but if you only accel/decel a little, sometimes the amount of torque applied isn't enough to limit movement so you'll sort of push hard then overrun and back off, then push hard to catch up, then overrun. Makes it even harder to give steady throttle inputs since when it rocks forward, inertia pulls your foot off the gas, then you decel and inertia pushes your foot forward harder than you want and the car takes off, repeat.

Either slip the clutch more or give it more/less gas. It's a combination of finesse/experience driving stick and getting used to the car. I did it a bit in my Baja the first few hundred miles but have mostly gotten used to it and can avoid it. Mushy trans mount I think is hurting me too.

What happens is when I'm at a stop I put it in first and as I give gas and let off the clutch the clutch seems to be slipping and than it makes the car sort of shudder/shake. It happens around 1500-2000 rpm in first gear. Once I get the car moving and I'm over 2000 rpm is smooths out and all other gears are fine. I can also smell the clutch when I'm sitting at a stop and start up a steep hill. I've been driving a manual for 15 years so I know it's not the way I'm driving. I've also tried letting the clutch out many different ways and have tried giving more and less gas but it just keeps happening. It's a brand new clutch, flywheel and throw bearing. Not sure why it seems to be slipping

What happens is when I'm at a stop I put it in first and as I give gas and let off the clutch the clutch seems to be slipping and than it makes the car sort of shudder/shake. It happens around 1500-2000 rpm in first gear. Once I get the car moving and I'm over 2000 rpm is smooths out and all other gears are fine. I can also smell the clutch when I'm sitting at a stop and start up a steep hill. I've been driving a manual for 15 years so I know it's not the way I'm driving. I've also tried letting the clutch out many different ways and have tried giving more and less gas but it just keeps happening. It's a brand new clutch, flywheel and throw bearing. Not sure why it seems to be slipping

Have you tried adjusting the clutch? And did you get a spec matched flywheel to your new clutch?

Twitch

So you have tried letting the clutch out more gradually and it hasn't helped? Is there any way you could get a video of it happening? If a pic is worth 1000 words, 30 frames per second. Actual clutch slip typically happens in the high gears first and I've seen what I described above sounds like your description and situation.

I've known people that drove stick badly longer than 15 years. I'm not directly saying you are but that the argument isn't great because it's possible to do something wrong a long time if nobody shows you the right way. More so if you only drive one or two vehicles the whole time. However long you've been driving stick, keep in mind you just put in a brand new clutch. I assume you put it in for a reason, such as the old one was if not worn out, at least well worn in. A brand new clutch, grippier than you're used to, will give the problem I mentioned.