Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 H6 Outback sometimes rough start and shakes a little when you shut off.

so what is this pointing too? sometimes it is rough starting and shakes a little when i shut it off. throwing a code po420. do a lot of stop and go driving to and from work for 45 minutes.

about a month ago it was throwing a po453 but it wasnt running bad. 

Neither of those codes should realistically cause what you're noticing.

Without any further information, my assumption is a bad motor mount.

If you could explain what you mean by "rough start" that'd help. Like does it shake a lot like when shutting off. Or does it seem like it doesn't want to start.

Edited by golucky66

possible combination of bad knock sensor and/or running regular gas - the manual says to run premium.

if you run a tank or 2 of premium and the problem gets better, might be time to check for a bad/cracked knock sensor - maybe also pull plugs and see if they are carbon coated - carbon build-up in the CCs could lead to this.

a:f ratio could have been rich for a while, causing carbon build-up.

bad PCV valve 'could' let some crankcase fumes get burned - but that's a longshot. Could be something related to the emmissions code I guess, carbon canister fumes getting through a stuck-open purge valve????

I dunno, seems odd. could be just a bad motor mount as said above if the car is otherwise running well.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan