Ultimate Subaru Message Board

difference between GL and GL-10?

The sunroofs weren't standard on the GL-10's, but a lot of other high-end options were.

What made the 10's unique (IMO) was the upgrade interior, and digi dash. Those were the things most unlike the regular GL's. It gave the car more of a hi tech luxury feel - like the better Hondas and Toyotas of the day.

The mechanicals were no different than the highline GL's. For example, I own an 89 GL Turbo AWD that is identical mechanically to the GL10.

10's were all about aesthetics - not performance.

John

The interior is noteibly more quiet and more lux. than the GL's. Ive never seen a GL-10 w/out a sunroof....but I have seen a few GL's with Sunroof and Digidash...had carbed engine and 5spd 2wd....it was also a 1986 this one that I used for parts.

All GL-10s 1987 and later had sunroofs and air standard (not sure about earlier models). They also all had digidashes standard from 1985 on. '83 and '84 models got digidashes as a no-cost option but they could be deleted--I've seen a couple EA81 GL-10s without them. 1989 models also had rear limited slip differentials standard, and they all had upgraded interiors. '87 through '89 had seat-height adjusters, adjustable headrests that went fore and aft in addition to up and down, and rear head restraints on velour lowback seats. '85/6 models had pretty much the same interiors but the seats looked more like the early-'80s GL seats. '83-4 models had standard GL interiors with lumbar support, carpet inserts on the door panels, rear fold-out armrests (sedans and coupes only) and map pockets on the back seats. On later models there was no vinyl on the seat at all (even the backs) on GL10s; GLs had vinyl back inserts, and DLs had cloth on the seat's front surfaces and vinyl everywhere else. DLs also had harder-wearing (and harder to clean) loop carpeting instead of the cut-pile used in the GL/10 models.

There are other differences, but they're even more minor (like the blackout trim package on the turbo 4WD models that was standard on the GL10 but optional on all models of the GL, and the body-color and chrome side mouldings standard on the GL10).

All 89 GL-10's did NOT have LSD standard. Matter of fact I've never even seen one with LSD! That counts looking under THREE full time 4WD turbo models.

Other things worth noting...

Not almost all GL-10's had turbo. A much larger percentage did, but I see plenty of nonturbo ones around. Almost every one I've seen had the "turbo triangles" at the back ends of the rocker panels. All GL-10 sedans also had the blackout center panel between the taillights, even the base 2WD nonturbo ones. 85 2WD nonturbo GL-10's also had MPFI engines, almost identical to the XT.

Before we get into the war of what was or was not, be aware that this was all hashed out not too long ago and can probably be found with a quick search.

Bottom line.. there isn't much on a GL-10 that wasn't available in a GL.. And even then, what was standard varies a little from year to year.

Also... on the very early models there really wasn't a clear line. You could order just about anything for a GL. I've seen some 85 GL's that were exactly like GL-10's. I've also seen one that seemed to be a GL-10, but had an RX interior (and was automatic), and had no model badging at all!

I'm certainly not an expert on GL-10's, but I can say with certainty that sunroofs and LSD were not standard on 89's (at least). The reason being - I own one that is completely intact.

I don't doubt any of the claims made, including "digi" models in non-GL 10's, and "non Turbo" 10's. I've also seen SPFI in models as early as 86, which some claim is not possible.

To complicate things further is the apparent abundance of "dealer add on" equipment, particularly A/C, rims/wheel covers, splash guards and body graphics. This seemed to be most popular on the 86-89's from what I've encountered.

If there are ever any doubts about how your Sube was equipped when it rolled off the Fuji assembly line, you can contact Subaru of America (1-800-subaru3), with your VIN#. That'll settle all bets.

John

I recently upgraded to a 87 GL-10 Wagon that seems to be "decked out" - including the LSD, sunroof, and other dealer add-on items. I think the original owner must have said something like, "I want one of everything, all in there ( pointing to Wagon )" No third-party items, Subaru stock, been fun discovering "Maple's" tricks . . . rescued from remote valley farm, took 3 engine assemblies and combined into one, 186K mi estimated.

Been using USMB to learn more.

My wife's 91 Loyale seems pretty basic in comparison, so this "features" topic isn't constrained to a particular model year.

Now, checking out the "third headlight" idea I saw on our recent road trip . . .

I'm certainly not an expert on GL-10's, but I can say with certainty that sunroofs and LSD were not standard on 89's (at least). The reason being - I own one that is completely intact.

I don't doubt any of the claims made, including "digi" models in non-GL 10's, and "non Turbo" 10's. I've also seen SPFI in models as early as 86, which some claim is not possible.

To complicate things further is the apparent abundance of "dealer add on" equipment, particularly A/C, rims/wheel covers, splash guards and body graphics. This seemed to be most popular on the 86-89's from what I've encountered.

If there are ever any doubts about how your Sube was equipped when it rolled off the Fuji assembly line, you can contact Subaru of America (1-800-subaru3), with your VIN#. That'll settle all bets.

John

Z-man:

Every one of these cars has a personality of their own.

I am not shy about calling prior owners and asking questions. You can usually find receipts with names that can narrow things down pretty quick. Also, sometimes the Service Rep at Subaru of America will divulge info on the original buyer. Just call them up and tell them you have their old set of wheels, and they usually tell you everything you want to know.

The information you can gather this way is so valuable. You can save a lot of $$ not duplicating maintenance items if you know the history of the car. Otherwise. it's a crap shoot and you end up replacing everything to get the reliability you're after.

10's are great cars, but the basic models have a lot to offer in terms of reliable transportation. If that's your thing, a base model 2wd Loyale will keep you happy for a long time. The GL10 you describe might be more of a "project car". Sounds like it's equipped with a lot of the hardware you'd want in a Sube. You might want to take your time and get that one right.

good luck, John

I recently upgraded to a 87 GL-10 Wagon that seems to be "decked out" - including the LSD, sunroof, and other dealer add-on items. I think the original owner must have said something like, "I want one of everything, all in there ( pointing to Wagon )" No third-party items, Subaru stock, been fun discovering "Maple's" tricks . . . rescued from remote valley farm, took 3 engine assemblies and combined into one, 186K mi estimated.

Been using USMB to learn more.

My wife's 91 Loyale seems pretty basic in comparison, so this "features" topic isn't constrained to a particular model year.

Now, checking out the "third headlight" idea I saw on our recent road trip . . .

Thanks for the info!

The '91 Loyale 4WD Wagon was used on our recent ( 4000+mi ) trip back to the MidWest, and I was impressed with "Caboo's" performance, even for "just" the basic Sube!

Other than the mechanic goofs that manifested during the trip, the Loyale is impressive.

As for the mechanic goofs, well, I'm taking more interest in learning and doing much more the mechanic work.

Thanks!

I've had two 10s. 86 XT Turbo and 89 GL Wagon. They both had digital dash, power everything. Removable sunroof (XT) power moonroof (wagon). Both AT and AC and very plush. A couple of the nicest cars I have had the pleasure to be 'wrapped' in. I recently had the unfortunate chance to drive a 2003 Ford Taurus..........(this was rental after XT was smashed) totally 'foreign' feel after the comfort of the XT! Sigh.........

Linda

• 5 months later...

The first GL-10 came out in late '83 as '84 model (I was the parts manager at a local dealer then) only 4drs and 2dr hardtops could be had. All had power windows/mirrors, sunroofs, blacked out headlite doors(GL models had a little chrome right next to the lite bulbs), DL moldings on the sides (skinnier without the GL chrome strip at the top), I believe all were 2WD because they had black painted steel bumpers and last but not least they had the light grey,plush cloth interior with cloth doorpanels. I saved the front seats and doorpanels for my Brat from a 2dr hardtop I found in a local j/y 5 years ago. Gary

ok by now you're like "WTF, I'm so lost" Here's how I see it. The GL was a setp below the GL-10 right? The GL-10 came with EVERYTHING! (sunroof, AC, deluxe interior depending on the year, turbo, digidash) Now you could order the GL with everything you could get on the GL-10 so you could order a GL wagon with a turbo, or a sunroof, or a digidash. The other way is people could get the GL-10 but order it without a turbo or without a digidash. Get the picture? Thats the easiest way I see it. Now if you want more specifics, then you'll have to make out the mumble jumble that everyone has posted so far:D

The GL-10 came with EVERYTHING! (sunroof, AC, deluxe interior depending on the year, turbo, digidash) :D

Not all 10's had the sunroof - at least it wasn't standard equipment in 1989.

The most significant difference between the GL's and GL10's was the cushy interior. To my knowledge, all other options offered on the 10's were available on GL's.

John

Guess I lucked out - have it all. Now Maple's motor . . . is an amalgam of three different motors with extra add-ons. Cheers, - Carrick

Not all 10's had the sunroof - at least it wasn't standard equipment in 1989.

The most significant difference between the GL's and GL10's was the cushy interior. To my knowledge, all other options offered on the 10's were available on GL's.

John