Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starter motor prob - '13 Impreza

Hi all,

2013 Subaru Impreza with 44 k; bought used at 32 k. Love the ride, but it has recently started to give me a starter problem. Sometimes it will start right up and sometimes it will take a few cranks. One time, it recently took about 10 cranks before the thing fired up (I just held the key in the ignition position). But then the next time I went to start the car, it started right up. The problem has gotten worse with cold weather.

Starter solenoid or starter motor? I'm guessing that there is a dead spot, but I'm pretty inexperienced with Subarus. If it is the starter, does anyone have any advice on how easy / terrible it is to dig the starter out of the car? I wish the thing fell under the powertrain warranty, but it doesn't...

Thanks!

Aaron

could be a clamp that leaks in cold weather. Subaru had some, I believe Imprezas, that did that 10-15 years ago.

I have no idea if a modern-era Subaru has a way to cycle the fuel pump a few times before trying to start  - but if you could, doing that next time you feel certain the car would exhibit the problem, might prove loss of pressure in the injector rails, perhaps due to a leak since you smell fuel.

just looking/smelling around might reveal drips of fuel.

Or, arrange to leave the car overnight, outdoors, at the dealer and insist on being there in the morning when they attempt the first start.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Call your dealer and get the ECU flashed. This is a known 'Crank NO Start' problem with the 2012 - 2015 Impreza.

Has to do with a sensor the ECU detects as in 'error' when it is not, so it immediately shuts off the injectors. 

Mine was covered by the warranty, here's all the service reciept stated:

• Reprogramming, Engine Control Module

Found link to the TSB title:

http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/engine-drivetrain/53450-tsb-11-155-15-released-reprogramming-file-extended-engine-cranking.html

Edited by ferret
  • Like 1