Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Legacy 2.2 Cranks but No Start

I have a 1999 30th Anniversary Legacy sedan, Automatic, AWD. It cranks but won't start. It shut off in the driveway and won't start again. Replaced coil, crank and cam sensors. I want to check the Ignition Control Module/Ignitor but can't find it. It is not  on the middle of the fire wall like my 95 Legacy or near transmission resistor on right front strut tower. Where is the Ignitor?

This is a 2.2 Phase two engine. One year only. Also weird is that is has no air flow sensor in the intake pipes.

I pulled left cam cover. Timing marks are good. The timing mark on crank pulley should be at 4 o'clock(Keyway and cam timing mark on crank pulley will be aligned straight up then) with camshaft timing mark aligned with indicator. 100 miles on new Gates timing belt/idler water pump kit. 

fyi; The newest gates kits now have partial china sourced parts. Not all do, but enough that you must look at each bearing & the belt to confirm country of origin. Amazon will tell you they are all japan parts... they may not be.  With an interference motor be very sure of your parts.         By the way I think that the crank keyway should be down when crank is proper for checking timing, but I go by the timing marks not the key.

Yes the crank keyway is at the bottom when timing belt mark is at top of crank pulley. The timing mark on crank pulley and timing mark on front of crank timing sprocket are then at

4 o'clock.

Edited by wmaney

• 3 weeks later...

Yes the ignitor is in the ignition coil. Pulled the timing belt cover. Left bank cam timing is good. But right cam is one quarter turn off. This is with 50 miles on new Gates timing belt kit and Felpro blue teflon head gaskets.

I replaced the right bank plastic cam sprocket with an old 2.2 steel cam sprocket. I then checked compression. All cylinders are in the 130-180 range. Good for an old motor. The question is why did it jump time? I have replaced my own Subaru cam belts since the eighties.

Edited by wmaney

I would bet the tensioner failed. I had a 2.2L skip timing about three times in 1000 miles. The third time I reset the timing I swapped the belt and tensioner with a good used pair I had lying around and it never skipped timing again. I just threw out the removed parts so as not to revisit that problem.

Hold on. Was it running one day and the next it wasnt?

It doesn't have an igniter anymore on that model, FYI. Have you checked fuel pressure to verify the pump hasn't died? It's fairly common for that to happen. I probably replace 15 during the summer, specifically on the 90-99 Legacys.

I was driving it in driveway and it shut off with 50 mile on new Gates timing belt kit. Turns out that timing on right cam jumped one quarter turn on right cam sprocket. Left cam was still in time.

Retimed cams and it runs now. I bought this car

with a bad motor and it has been a curse.