Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am beginning my EA to EJ swap

iluvdrt

I am starting my EJ swap on my Brat and I had a couple questions that I cannot find the answer too. For reference my Brat is an 82 with GL dash swap and 5 spd DR, and my donor car is a 1996 Legacy L automatic.

On thinning the harness, there are some sensors and stuff I am concerned about cutting off and worried they will throw a CEL. Specifically the fuel temperature sensor, vent control solenoid valve, pressure control solenoid valve, fuel tank pressure sensor, so basically the stuff around the gas tank for the evap system.

Also, since my donor is an automatic it comes with the EGR valve. Once I make it manual, can I delete this without a code being thrown? If so I could thin it out in the harness before hand.

Also, there are 2 sensors in the engine bay (passenger side on a bracket by the washer reservoir) I am uncertain of. One is the pressure source switching solenoid valve and it splices into the vacuum line used by the fuel pressure regulator and the other is the manifold pressure sensor. I think these are used by the automatic trans and not needed once the ECU is put into manual mode. Can anyone confirm? 

Thanks for the help, Ill check back here often with updates for those that don't follow me on Facebook.

-Jason Osborne 

You'll need two of the sensors on the strut tower, the map and pressure switch valve. There should be a 3rd part on the back of the bracket, which is the dropping rate resistor. You can ditch this in manual mode, but not the other two. You can also delete the egr system.

With these ecus there is no way around having a cel for the fuel tank related parts. Depending on whether you have an early or late built 96 it may not have the most of the tank related sensors. I used an early 96 harness for an ej20k swap in one of my legacys and it didn't have some of them.

I am using an interface module from small cars.com that simulates the sensors voltage to the ECU so that the ECU thinks those sensors are still there.

These swaps in finding out are much more common in the VW world and so they have a very well documented wiring section with all of the same issues we have. The difference is that they have developed aftermarket solutions to a lot of the common problems we just ignore or work around.