Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Damaged bumper to a Subaru Impreza

Hello, 

Last week I drove my Impreza into a snowbank. I didn't realize how delicate the front bumper was (I won't make that mistake ever again). I got lucky in that the damage is just superficial; the headlights and everything all work. In the meantime, I've been getting quotes for around $1000 to replace the bumper. I was wondering how difficult it is for someone to replace the piece on their own. I am reasonably competent with a screwdriver and a wrench, but I am certainly no autobody man. What would you do in this situation? I have attached a photo to give you an idea of the damage.

Regards,

Rowan

post-66044-0-58752500-1487545813_thumb.jpg

The best way for you to learn is to do it. All it takes is to see how it is attached, take it off and put the new one on. Most of the new cars are plastic, so it is just a matter of removing the damaged piece and attach the new one that you order online. Saves you a butt load of money and you feel better because you learn something.

• Like 1

Not difficult at all. Most modern bumpers have an attachment on each side at the front of the wheel well. Usually a screw that goes straight up into a tab on the fender. Then the sides pop out/in into a rail of clips. The front differs from car to car a bit more but it's usually pretty obvious. Bolts or pins along the top by the radiator, probably a couple along the bottom and whatever harnesses might be there for fog lights or temp sensor etc.

it's really not a hard thing to tackle. Just get in there and you'll see for yourself.

rsf27,

I've done tons of these on just about every make of car and they are all pretty straight forward. Open the hood, pop out the various plastic plugs (sometimes small bolts), do the same on the bottom, remove the bolt/screw at the very corner of the bumper cover and the fender at the wheel well, and pop the cover straight forward from the car about 6 inches out. Reach in behind and unplug the fog light wiring connectors (if applicable), and the cover is off.

The hint I can give you is to use masking tape on the headlight edges and the front fender seams where the bumper cover meets it, before attempting the reinstall. Reinstallation is a 2 man operation to ensure you don't scratch up the new paint on the cover. Then reinstall all of the fasteners. Fiddly, but fairly easy to do. Good Luck!