Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi guys - I am soon to change the timing belt on my 07 Impreza EJ204 with AVCS - apparently extra caution is needed - especially with the inlet cams ? is there a way to lock the camshaft pulleys in position ? any advice on the potential pitfalls would be greatly appreciated - Cheers Steve C

No additional caution is needed and there is no need to lock the cams. It's just like any other DOHC Subaru timing belt job. When the marks are aligned the pistons are all halfway to TDC so the valves can't touch them.

GD

• Like 1

the left side intake cam (I think)  will want to jump - but no damage happens if it does. There are devices and tricks to keep stuff aligned if you search.

triple check alignment and do a tooth count after rotating the crank thru a few revs. before starting.

Well - I managed to download the service manual - things I did not realize ---- the air conditioning belt is "stretch fit" - the valves can get tangled up if you turn the pulleys the wrong way - they say the cam pulleys and cover backing plate (LH) must be removed (along with the tensioner bracket) to remove the waterpump --- WTF ?? surely not ! Cheers Steve C