Ultimate Subaru Message Board

School me on Year Changes...

Ok Ive been trying to search. But no definate answers. Im sure they're answered but I cant find them. I have a 90 Loyale with Push button 4wd. Need some body parts and really wanted to find another motor to freshen up when mine finally gives up the ghost (400k) I found an 86 Parts car. I found lots of posts referring to similarities 87-94 But not much on the 86. The 86 is Dual Range, 5 speed. All I have is one picture and not much details. Im assuming 86 is Carb'd? Would all my SPFI stuff bolt onto this motor? Theres supposed to be an extra unknown motor in the back of the car too. Body panels. I need fender, door and corner lights. And possibly the bumper. I know the bumper is different but can I swap it onto my 90? Also will power window connections be the same connector on an 86 vs a 90? Thanks in advance!

Most of the parts from the 86 will fit your 1990. To use the engine you'll have to use the intake manifold off your 1990 but the rest of the engine is basically the same. The body panels will fit your car, however the plastic trim on the fenders and doors of the 86 is stuck on with adhesive where yours pops on with little plastic clips. You'll have to either live with the mismatched trim, drill holes for yours, or remove the clips from your trim and stick it on with mounting tape. Corner lights and bumper have a slightly different appearance but will fit. Not sure about the power window switches as I've never had to swap one of those out.

Also, that dual range 5-speed bolts right in, all you'll need to make it work other than the shifters are the center console trim pieces from the 86. 

EDIT- Forgot I also had to replace the oil pressure sending unit when I swapped a carb engine into my 1992 Loyale.

Edited by Wagon Wagon

Most of the parts from the 86 will fit your 1990. To use the engine you'll have to use the intake manifold off your 1990 but the rest of the engine is basically the same. The body panels will fit your car, however the plastic trim on the fenders and doors of the 86 is stuck on with adhesive where yours pops on with little plastic clips. You'll have to either live with the mismatched trim, drill holes for yours, or remove the clips from your trim and stick it on with mounting tape. Corner lights and bumper have a slightly different appearance but will fit. Not sure about the power window switches as I've never had to swap one of those out.

Also, that dual range 5-speed bolts right in, all you'll need to make it work other than the shifters are the center console trim pieces from the 86. 

Trim is no big deal, I do body and paint work.

And yes Im planning on using the dual range when I swap motors

The engine from the heads down will interchange. You need to swap the spfi manifold ans harness onto the 86 engine. Probably the distributor also. The fenders are the same, except trim might vary. Not sure about the power windows, my 86 had manual windows. I'd guess they are the same, but can't verify without spending quality time with my 2 FSM s. I have 86 and 90, and it's great for checking such things out.