Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What does this gasket look like? If it's basically o-ring material like the EA82 seal you could likely make one... you just get bulk nitrile o-ring material and use super glue or they sell kits with the glue and various diameters...

If it's basically a flat flange with a groove in it you could also potentially fill the groove with JB weld, "surface" it on some glass, and then seal it with something like Hylomar. If you haven't used Hylomar check it out - its like..... liquid velcro for gasket replacement. Can be removed and reinstalled an indefinite amount of times. So you can install the part, remove it and clean any squeeze out from passages, etc then reinstall it. It will handle crazy high temps like 600 F. Was designed for Rolls Royce turbine engines. 

GD

• Like 1

I've been thinking about a ej20 or destroked ej25 when im done with college. i have a lot of support through the college for machining, balancing ect. but thats all in the future now.

your right i cant find any micky mouse gaskets for the er27, all of them that say they fit are for 4-cylinder's. gonna look into Hylomer, thats for the tip GD. im probably gonna measure the front seal and go down to the local bearing shop and get one with a double seal too, seems smart since they like to fail. i havent hammered the lifters, they only ticked when cold for the last couple months, but when i got home just before the last oil change it was ticking pretty bad, and got worse after the oil change. i've put about 7k on this car, and i have no idea how well it was treated the last few years, but it got passed between 5 people and not 1 changed the title over so im just gonna replace the lifters. contemplating HG's as well, i loose a little coolant, but barely. I've read just retorque the stock head bolts but do one more round at 10 ft lbs more then the service manual, is this right? id hate to break a headbolt that i cant find replacements for.

Yup.

Cause we know that is the most productive way to go.

If someone wants to upgrade obsolete platforms fine. We are just telling them the problems that are known. Don't want advise? Want to do what you want? Fine.

But when asked, we give the best advice possible. Which in almost all these types of cases is "EJ" it.

I dont disagree that "ej" ing it is the way to go, i just see a lot of direct questions asked, with a response that side steps the original question, and then in a rude manner answers what thier own opinion is. I think some of the responses above, where people take the time to addres why its a bad idea, or where your going to run into issues is exactly what this forum needs more of.

• Like 1

you got it d8usti5n. its not that saying do a ej swap is a bad response, in fact i think the response's were pretty good, just need less negativity. and more information. i decided not to because im not gonna do custom rods and pistons, and the fact is the wrist pin just isnt capable of what i was expecting. TBH the most productive way for me to go is to just fix the oil pump seal, and be happy. if i really want power then ill swap a eg or ej in. witch i would like to do someday....

• Like 1

do you mean you couldn't find drivers side tensioning mechanism or the tensioner pulley? The pulleys bearings are replaceable - I think they're 6005 bearings, just read the face seals.

I've never seen XT6 tensioners fail, I'm sure it happens rarely but it's a low percentage risk.

You probably didn't find one of the timing pulleys? one of those isn't available anywhere and another is very expensive from Subaru.

Are you guys taking ER27 oil pump Mickey Mouse gaskets? I just got one from Subaru earlier this year?

GD posted engine rebuild issues just a couple months ago, some of the issues and what happens. You should search and find that discussion.

Highly skilled and experienced people can't sit here and answer the same questions over and over again for years hours on end either. People that don't understand that are simply not in high demand due to ability or accesibility - actively publicly helping people. It's not easy for highly skilled people to help without massive influx of questions, requests, and bids for help. I'm not a professional or trainer and I get requests daily. Emails phone calls texts dealers friends families coworkers...and I haven't mentioned forums yet.... I feel lucky to even get a reply from some of these guys and read their past discussions, I get it, id never complain they didn't hold my hand.

EA and ER are same pistons and valves and cam profiles so read up on all the EA82 and EA82T build threads obwr the past 15 years and start building.

• Like 1