Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brakes on a brat

Hey guys I was having trouble finding the parts needed to convert a brat to 4 wheel disc and I’m looking to overhaul the entire brake system with a different lug pattern I’m looking for discs that will fit in 15” rims and preferably a more common lug pattern thanks guys sorry to have to ask twice

No one makes any parts to do this. Honestly why bother doing it? The engine makes about 65 HP. It doesn't need rear disc brakes, and already has front discs.

If you want to do it, you will have to find the parts we have already told you to find. That's the only viable way. And changing the lug pattern on a first gen just isn't going to happen without spending a LOT of money having custom parts made. Or invest in a mill, a lathe, and about 20 years of machinist experience and make them yourself. Plenty of YouTube videos to get you started.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I suppose the reason you want a more common stud pattern is wider choice of rims ? Welcome to old Subarus !

Learn to tolerate it. Snap up different rims as they pop up. Nothing nice is cheap either.

I do see your point in wanting disc rear and don't let GD put you off, just take head of the warnings to get your wallet out. Drums need to be in good order to work well all their life and that just does not happen as I found. I started with machined drums, oversize shoes ground to match, new slaves and adjusted them up for 100,000 km at oil change intervals of 10,000km. As I ripped them off for disc conversion I noted the shoes had not worn very much in all that time - sort of indicates they were not doing much work. The disc rear stays in tune all the way from new pad to worn out pad so long as calipers are good, fluid is good. So you keep the better braking for the life of the disc rear

I suppose the reason you want a more common stud pattern is wider choice of rims ? Welcome to old Subarus !

Learn to tolerate it. Snap up different rims as they pop up. Nothing nice is cheap either.

I do see your point in wanting disc rear and don't let GD put you off, just take head of the warnings to get your wallet out. Drums need to be in good order to work well all their life and that just does not happen as I found. I started with machined drums, oversize shoes ground to match, new slaves and adjusted them up for 100,000 km at oil change intervals of 10,000km. As I ripped them off for disc conversion I noted the shoes had not worn very much in all that time - sort of indicates they were not doing much work. The disc rear stays in tune all the way from new pad to worn out pad so long as calipers are good, fluid is good. So you keep the better braking for the life of the disc rear

Yeah I found a way to convert the lug pattern pretty cheaply but know I just have to find 15” rims