Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi Guys,

My gf has a 2015 Forester and asked about why 3 warning lights would come on at the same time without any symptoms of a problem. The 3 lights are: ABS warning, Hill Assist warning and Traction warning (at least that is what we think the last one is). The owner's manual is essentially a paper weight on this.  A google search found the following about the interconnection with those 3 warning lights and the brake light switch. 

http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/problems-maintenance-warranty/131786-abs-light-hill-assist-light-loss-traction-lights-dash-come.html 

But, the brake lights work. So I'm seeking some input here.

Thank you in advance.

On other vehicles I've run into a few things being the cause. Brake fluid and faulty ABS/Wheel sensors can cause a similar issue. The ABS light is can likley turn on when there is a problem with the Braking system and vice-versa. The hill assist like can also pop on for the same issue. I'd check brake fluid, brake fluid level sensor, wheel sensors - etc. 

does the light turn on after she goes through a puddle/pothole/both? Does it occur on one side of the car vs the other?

-Justin

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazyman03 said:

On other vehicles I've run into a few things being the cause. Brake fluid and faulty ABS/Wheel sensors can cause a similar issue. The ABS light is can likley turn on when there is a problem with the Braking system and vice-versa. The hill assist like can also pop on for the same issue. I'd check brake fluid, brake fluid level sensor, wheel sensors - etc. 

does the light turn on after she goes through a puddle/pothole/both? Does it occur on one side of the car vs the other?

-Justin

Thanks for responding. I'll check the brake fluid etc.

We have a major road project happening here, on the road she has to drive to work, so the roads have been rough but not potholed.

The 3 lights just come on when she starts up and stay on. 

I'm told, that if your ABS light is on, there is a tool stealerships can use to diagnose the ABS system. they would be able to pinpoint what sensor is causing it. Luckily your lights are always on. I'm also told they cant pull a solid code from it if the light isnt on. Give that a shot?

-Justin

It has been my experience that it only takes 1 fault code to turn on 3 different warning lights on some of the newer cars. I have seen this on newer Hondas and Subarus. I think you'll need a code reader to find out what's up. Harbor Freight has a scan tool that does ABS and OBD II.

Edited by Crazyeights

Sooo, I ran an errand this AM with the car several stops and voila no warning lights come on. They were on yesterday I saw them. 

When the next scheduled service comes up she will have them check it further. Unless it happens again.

Thank you for all the input - much appreciated.