Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 heater core issues and petcock

I am finally tracking down some leaks in my hvac system on the 1982 GLF and found basically two things. 

1) The heater core is trashed and luckily I was able to find one, though at a cost, at least that's taken care of. 

2) The worse problem. The coolant control valve (petcock) was covered in corrosion and still leaks even after cleaning it up and putting it back together. It appears to be leaking from the gasket that surrounds the little shaft and the rubber feels pretty hard. Im not in to spending buku bucks on a whole new assembly if that's even possible to buy, does anyone know if just the seals can be obtained? And how much sealing work that little gasket around the shaft actually has to do? I'm looking at my FSM here and wondering if I can just plumb the HC straight in without that pipe assembly since air won't be flowing over the HC on cold setting. Or maybe just a 1/4 turn valve down by the right foot. Where I live, the heat setting is only used a few times a year anyway. Thanks all for any thoughts. 

Edited by tylertrend

I was able to buy that valve from the dealer a few years ago when I did the heater core on my '83 and I'm glad I did. Your right though it was pricey. You might be able to bypass it and run a different heater control valve out under the hood. Just be careful as those hoses run right down by your legs inside. You don't want to get burned by scalding hot antifreeze when driving down the road if something fails.

Careful if you modify coolant path. In off or COLD blue setting the tap bypsses coolant rather than send it through heater core. It don't shut entire coolant path off. EA82 did away with tap entirely so coolant must have kept cores hot and clean under all conditions, just not direct air over core and into cabin on cold setting.

Block off an ej heater core and will cause weird overheating ....wondering if ea81 would do same if you blocked of as well ...here is aus we can get cheap plastic four pipe bypass type tap with vacuum control instead of cable. Been successfully used in EA81 I hear