Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where is the reset button 1998 Outback

I bought a 98 Outback, auto, with a remote luck and unlock key fob.  Under the hood,it says that if the battery is disconnected, the ignition needs to be reset either by pressing the unlock on the fob or a button under the dash.

The problem is that the fob doesn't work [new battery] and I can't find the button.  On my old 97, the button was white and hund done loose on a wire.  But this isn't the case with the 98.

Does anyone know where the button is.  Even what color would be a help.

cars101 look under security stuff they have all the possibilities listed there. 

make sure to verify which system you had - 98 was a transition year or close to it in terms of security.

i've had a 99 or two where i couldn't seem to match, find, or get anything to work.

• Like 1

I had already found the car101 but it doesn't talk about where to find the button.  I know it's between the steering column and the the hood release.  One guy on the internet even had a picture of it, and I can tell exactly where it was, but there is nothing there on mine except a square hole.

It would be helpful if anybody knew where the remolt keyless module was located on a 98 outback or even what color it is.  I think it's about 4"x4" x1" and black.

Well, I got one module out and it reads "door lock timer."  It's black and about 3x3 by 3/4".  I assume that this is not the module i'm looking for.  I can't feel anything in the wires to the unit so there is no button there.

Help!