Ultimate Subaru Message Board

push button Loyale stuck in 4x4

I've checked the connections of the vac lines and to the transmission. I've reving it and pushing the button, in neutral out of neutral. I've jacked up the car and tried manual shifting it out and it doesn't budge. I wasn't able to get the front wheels off the ground and rotate the drive shaft though. It feels stuck from inside the trans and not from the cable. the arm coming out the transmission also moved in and out of the trans 2-3mm. Is there a schematic somewhere? Idk maybe it's time to put in the Dual range trans. 

My wire frayed in the shifter boot after somebody before me messed around with it... other than that straight as an arrow on the ground SAME tires and pressure ? Does the 4wd illuminate off and on? Do you hear a ptssssh when you engage/disengage? I be looking at all the vacuum lines to the canister passenger side.

Edited by Len Dawg

I've never heard a whooshing sound when locking or unlocking the AWD box, and it uses the same system to activate the diff lock as the single range does with engaging 4wd.

if you jack a wheel and get under the vehicle (with a jack stand for safety) you should be able to move the engaging arm manually with some effort and feel it click and hold on the opposite position. 

To verify it's worked spin the lifted tyre (do a rear wheel). If you can't turn it you've locked 4wd in, move the arm the other way and try again with the wheel test.  If it is still in 4wd I'd say an interal retainer pin for the engaging fork has gone AWOL :/

All the best with it. Dual range is where it's at for sure!

Cheers

Bennie