Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power steering reservoir keeps leaking 1996 Subaru Impreza Outback 2.2

The power steering unit leaked all over the place when the car was passed down to us.  Given the age I figured we would just get a rebuilt pump, which we did.  All of the gaskets were really brittle when we took it apart.

I don't have any memory of "crush washers", like on banjo bolts for brakes being at the bottom of the reservoir.  When we put everything back together we put a new rubber gasket on the reservoir connection and figured it would be good.  We did notice the kit came with 2 copper crush washers, but didn't use them because there wasn't one in there when it came apart.

It would slowly leak whether or not the engine was running or not.

So, we took it apart and figured out that a crush washer would fit just great over top of where the rubber gasket was at so we tried that.  At first I thought we fixed it but after about 24 hours you could see just the least little bit of leakage.

Now I'm wondering if we should try another crush washer and just try to get it tighter or perhaps double stack the crush washers.  

This is the first Subaru I've tried to work on and the first power steering pump I've ever done.  I'm usually pretty good with other mechanical stuff, but no history with this particular kind of thing.

Check out the pics you can see the crush washer and where they go.  Could you possibly be supposed to double stack them??

The instructions didn't say.  

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/cardone-power-steering-pump-w-o-reservoir-import-21-5932/18710113-P?navigationPath=L1*14921|L2*15009|L3*15715

That is the pump I put on it

crush washer goes under this.jpg

Here are some more pics of what I'm dealing with.

This shows where the crush washer apparently goes.  There is a rubber gasket that fits down in the grove and apparently the crush washer (or perhaps two of them) go on top.  Right now I have one installed and it knocked out most of the leaks.  I want to get all the leaks fixed so we can keep the area clean, so we can see if anything else is leaking or if this was iit.

NH

where washers go.jpg

pump with crush washer on it.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey..thanks for the great picture and idea for RTV.  

I'll probably try to try this tomorrow. 

So, are you suggesting RTV without the copper washer?  The copper was did cut down on the leak.  Made it much less, in fact I thought it was fixed until I looked at it the next morning and saw a small leak where my finger is.

NH

where the reservoir is leaking.jpg

you have the version where the 2 bolts are external to the tank.  i don't think it needs any washers.  middle one.  

the one i have the bolts are internal to the tank, directly touching the fluid.  the washers go inside between the bolt and the internal tank bottom. right one.

rtv wouldn't hurt, just give it a day to set.  it really shouldn't need any to seal.  thinking that bottom plate is tweaked, check that it's flat and square.  If the crush washers helped, maybe the bolts are too long and not original.

Here's the link to the pic https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_1996_Impreza-Outback-Wagon-22L-MT-4WD/_54100_6028409/POWER-STEERING-SYSTEM/G10-346-02.html

G10_34601040.thumb.png.0e20409946a8c4facd10b319ff9916e0.png

Yes...I have the middle one.

The entire experience is starting to make more sense.

When I swapped things out, I didn't remember a seal being under the "three pronged holder" that holds the reservoir.  Since I had never done it before I was trying to be careful and make sure all parts out got put back in the right order.  There was a small o ring (that was very brittle) on the "extension" from the reservoir that goes down into the pump.  There was a replacement for that in the kit.  I put it all together and it started leaking pretty quick.  Not as bad as before the pump swap...but pretty quick.

Then I tried to think that perhaps it had been worked on before and not done right.  Especially since a rubber gasket fit so nicely in the round gasket grove on top of the pump and "under" the three pronged holder.  Although I remember thinking the gasket didn't stick up much (if any) outside of the grove.

Putting the rubber gasket it didn't seem to affect the leak rate.  Putting the crush washer in dramatically lowered the leak rate.

Anyway...I think I'm going to check with Subaru about the correct gasket for the extension going down into the pump.  Also inspect everything closely and take pics to see if something is tweaked.

If nothing comes out of that, then I think I'll proceed to RTV.    The suggestion to let it set up for a day makes sense.    I don't have a heated garage...I'm in Indiana.  Think temp makes much difference.  Perhaps I can pick a milder day.

Thanks for all the help.  During the pump swap we did quite a bit of cleaning, because we are figuring there are other leaks we need to address as well.  Really would like to get this thing to stop leaking.

NH

So I chatted with the parts guy at my local Subaru for a bit.  He says that he only see's the seal on the reservoir and that should seal everything up.  Nothing underneath the "three pronged bracket"

I've ordered the seal from Subaru and will try that.  If it still leaks I'll leave the subaru seal on it and add RTV.

NH