Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Somewhat odd EJ25D valve clearance question

I should have noted the valve clearances before I stripped this motor down, but failed to do so.  Before I start pulling the valves out of the heads for cleaning, lapping, new seals, etc., I'd like to get those "before" measurements.  But the TSM only gives them based on the rotational position of the right (passenger) side cam sprockets, which doesn't help me a lot with just the left side head on the bench.

So is there something that shows what the correct positions of the left side cams are for measuring lash, or is this just a dumb question?

As it only works for the 97 to 99 25D cylinder heads, it is only made by Subaru's custom tool contractor Kent Moore. I believe that one is close to $400. I have never seen one and since all subsequent dual cam models (except 02 WRX which requires a different tool) require cam removal (shimless bucket), we don't offer the shim replacement service using the special tool. Also I've never been asked to and those engines are now so old if we see one at all we end up doing pistons and head gaskets making the tool useless anyway. 

GD