Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hi again

'96 legacy auto 2.2l with a problem at idle.

when i'm at a stoplight with foot on brake, if the AC is on the car vibrates, fairly violently (ie, the glovebox shakes badly enough that i can hear stuff rattling in it.)

Interestingly, if I turn the AC off -or- if I put it into park while sitting at the light, the vibration goes away.

Once I start moving again, the vibration goes away.

Any ideas?

thanks!

• 3 years later...
Hi danspanno. Did you happen to have any autoparts store rebuilt axles/half shafts/cv installed at any point? Hm...adwolf last activity was late '06.

I just bought the car its got 150k on it - I think it may have had the CV joints done I remember he said something about some front and rear joints being done

There is also a scrapping / rubbing noise from the rear end when you corner tight on while on the power - like if you're doing a fast U-turn

• 2 weeks later...
Hi danspanno. Did you happen to have any autoparts store rebuilt axles/half shafts/cv installed at any point? Hm...adwolf last activity was late '06.

I have the same vibration and it more pronounced in the morning when it is cooler. I recently had trans, axles and bearings replaced. Didn't have the problem before the replacement. If you find a solution let me know too.

If it does it when idling and not when driving It probably is just a motor or transmission mount, not likely related to CV's since they wouldn't be moving.

and the great debate continues, at least this one is far more civil then the great oil wars.

CHeck all the mounts.

With your foot on the brake pedal, car in drive, give it a little gas, does the vibration go away?

What engine RPM are we talking about with the AC on and in drive?

nipper

Hi Cincy Machine. If the vibration is due to the afermarket axles, the fix is Subaru OEM axles, Subaru OEM reman axles, MWE axles. Someone just had this issue on subaruoutback.org and then put in new OEM axles, problem solved. His description was the same as yours on centralohio. Have also seen the same symptoms in many other posts after aftermarket axles are in.

My old Legacy did that without Aftermarket axles. It's called "old car syndrome" in which the car has parts that are OLD on it and they are worn out. You can't expect them to work like they are new. In this case, I'm willing to bet the motor mounts are worn out.

hi again

'96 legacy auto 2.2l with a problem at idle.

when i'm at a stoplight with foot on brake, if the AC is on the car vibrates, fairly violently (ie, the glovebox shakes badly enough that i can hear stuff rattling in it.)

Interestingly, if I turn the AC off -or- if I put it into park while sitting at the light, the vibration goes away.

Once I start moving again, the vibration goes away.

Any ideas?

thanks!

Check that your crank pulley is not loose and wobbling. You would be able to see it when the hood is up and the car running. The additional load of the AC could possibly make the difference.

Why would CV axles cause a problem at a stoplight?

Well, this thread can be a little confusing as there are at least three different users posting issues.

Of users who had aftermaket rebuilt axles installled, No doubt there have been posts in the past of users with some weird vibration when stopped in 'drive' after having said aftermarket rebuilt axles installed. It could be coincidence or something else. Not all users of aftermarket rebuilt axles have this issue, but some do. Maybe some get this issue but do not care.

I think its possible. If they are warn out though. Maybe your car was just messed up Manarius and you never realized how smooth and fast your car was suppost to be. IMO age means nothing, engineering means much much more and maintenance :)
I would argue against that. Why? Drive axles are connected to the transmission. The engine should not vibrate to a noticeable extent if the motor mounts are working correctly. I would argue that the driveshafts would be unable to vibrate if they're inserted into the hubs and transmission correctly. I've seen CV axles done before - there is NO movement in that axle after it's placed into the hub.

I drove around a brand new Chevrolet HHR for months and with the A/C going and the car stopped in drive, the vibration was noticeable (only I had to work to notice it). And that was a brand new car. It's just the way cars are - when you're holding them from doing what they want to do, something has to give. The flexplate can only absorb so much from the motor - the vibration just has to come out somewhere. This is what you feel when you're holding the car back at a light.

And age means nothing? So, rubber as it ages doesn't wear out? News to me and the rest of the world.

The vibration described could be the result of any number of things - worn motor mounts or transmission mounts, idle being too low, idle not being adjusted for the increased load of the A/C, etc. I certainly would not fault aftermarket CV joints as a cause for vibration - there's just no logic to it.

This is what happens when you've had a wrench in your hand since you were old enough to hold one. :)

Let the debate begin :)

The only way I would buy into the axles is if i could have the old axles off the car, then the new ones (that did vibrate) and do a study on dimensions and weights between the two. Also to personally measure the vibration with both.

I dont think this one will ever get solved. The first question is, did it happen instantly after replacing the axles. Just the fact the the axles need replacement means the car has some milegae on it, which means it can be a few things. Its just a coincidence that it happens.

I would also check the tranny mount. If an axle is not moving, it has no effect on the drivetrain. Now if you told me it did at a crawl, then maybe I would accept it.

Blu has had a axle replaced and no vibration.

nipper

Now lets talk engine oil its safer

hehehehe