Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am new here and I am an Outback owner considering buying a new Subaru.  I have a weird question that I can't find an answer to. Searching has not revealed an answer.  It could be that my searching skills are not up to snuff.  It deals with a strange circumstance. I am a disabled driver. I have very limited use of my left hand. I am using a spinner knob to drive. It is on the steering wheel and aids me in turning. I think they called them suicide knobs back in the day. I know adaptive cruise control requires you to keep your hands on the wheel. My question is does it use a torque sensor (requiring you to put some turning pressure on the wheel) or use cameras to determine you are holding the wheel? I intend on holding the wheel but since I only grip the knob my hand is never directly on the wheel. Will this work for me? I can sort of grip the wheel with my left (to keep the car in the lane and use it for small curves) but it is weaker than my right. I am sure the most absolute answer will be just test drive one and see. I was planning on doing that but I am curious in the meantime. If you use adaptive cruise control and know how the requirement that hand(s) on the wheel work please let me know. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

A quick answer to holding onto the wheel.

The car is looking for resistance feedback in the steering mechanism to recognize if there is someone in control of the wheel. If it feels none it alerts.

If you have to be touching it specifically with your hands then gloves would interfere. Also, you couldn't hold it by the center spokes.