Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1982 EA-81 BRAT with Carter/Weber

9 hours ago, naru2 said:

Check the fuel inlet filter under the banjo bolt.

Check that the throttle body is tight.There is a screw underneath that comes loose.

Huh. I did not know there was a filter under the banjo bolt. Thanks for the info!

On 4/28/2019 at 9:41 AM, Vanson1200R said:

The data tag on my Carter Weber reads TYF7419SA. Most of the catalogs I'm looking at gives me two choices of carburetors and I'm not sure which one to go with for my application. One asks for two vaccum lines on the pulse solenoid (what's that?)

For future reference.

I think the year listings of the rebuilders are incorrect.

I believe 82s and 83s are the same,but,.84s are different.

In 84 they added an altitude compensator that opens up the air bleeds when driving in high thin air.

This necessitated the addition of 2 vacuum lines to the spacer under the duty(pulse) solenoid..

84s have a spacer w/2 vacuum lines.82/3s have no vacuum lines.

I suspect that the spacer is the only difference between the 2 versions and could be swapped as needed.

Or,plug the lines and an 84 carter weber becomes an 82

Or,leave the altitude compensator disconnected when running an 82 carb on an 84 car.

Confusing point here is that the FSMs call both versions TYF 7419S.I suspect this is incorrect.I have other info that suggests 84s are TYF 7629 or 7569. 

• Thanks 1

Still minor carb issues and currently running Seafoam through it. Any of you guys ditch your stock fuel tank for a fuel cell? My tank's suction and return lines are clogged after 20 plus years of sitting.  I found a fuel cell that would fit in the bed and take up very little room.

I use a fuel cell mounted top side of the tray up against the wall below rear window. Better known as a propane tank and still contains propane and a little butane along with escaped pump oil and other impurities depending on luck :)

It makes for a nicely balance little ute with fuel load weight more central than the low slung fuel tank at the rear.

With some good handiwork I can see a leaned used propane tank could be adapted for wet fuel and all their breather and fill lines needed for safety and pollution

I had a 100 litre tank in one Brumby holding eighty litres usable of propane which weighs about three quarters of same volume as wet fuel

The tanks are about 3 mm thick and filed in place with hoops and decent brackets. Imagine the refill distances on 100 litre tank !