Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all, so I was a long time member on here but fell out of the subaru game for a few years and forgot all of my old account info but with that being said I've been driving subaru for years and have owned more than I ever thought I would.

Always love a good cheap second hand subie that needs some love and thats why I'm here always know I can get some good info out of some really good people.

Basic car info 05 Legacy 2.5i A/T Wagon with ~188k and lots of issues.

But for now my question is, I have a terrible rear suspension noise. creak,squeak, and knock. earlier today I replaced the rear upper control arm inner bushing that were shot and the source of similar noise on my old 05 legacy gt sedan, but unfortunately they were not the culprits.

So now I am leaning towards rear strut mounts being shot and after looking at my local shop suppliers I could only find loaded sedan rear struts in stock and at half the price.

After a quick look online at some other forums I could only gather that the spring rate is the only difference between the two

So will the sedan struts be ok to run in the wagon? This is just a daily driver, no frills vehicle so not worried about performance gain/loss unless it might be something drastic.

Well any input is highly appreciated and gotta say it feels so good to be back in a subaru and a wagon!!!!!

Thanks,

Greg

the big difference is going to be in weight of the car - with the wagon being heavier - more glass and roof

the sedan struts might work for a while, but will possibly give your car a "saggy butt" appearance and most likely wear out faster.

Rockauto has the correct ones for the wagon.. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,2005,legacy,2.5l+h4,1430732,suspension,strut+/+coil+spring+/+mount+assembly,15174

That's where my concern lies...

I'm well aware of the outback to legacy difference and know the wagon is going to be heavier in the rear but wouldn't think there would be a ride height difference but possibly ride quality. And I'm not one to load up my wagon with extra weight in a regular basis so there is only the bit of extra load from the glass and hatch but guessing it's no more than 200lbs,  which in reality really isn't that much of an extra load. 

And I know I can the correct ones online but it's easier and cheaper to get them from my shops suppliers and only going after the instant gratification because whatever broke let go completely Friday night and trying to fix asap. 

Greg 

Aftermarket strut tops can be of atrocious quality.  Folks have posted pictures in forums. The cushions can bulge in scary fashion and fail. I’ve seen new ones completely fail and disintegrate in less than 100 miles.  

Aftermarket Struts can be equally poor. I’ve got a 2003 that had new struts installed at a local shop that are almost intolerable to drive - and I’m generally immune to performance.  These float and responds worse than I realized “new” struts could.  

You can replace the one bad side with a new KYB strut - theyre not expensive. 

Used OEM top mounts or springs or entire OEM used strut assemblies are a better option than aftermarket new IMO.  

05-09 struts are weak and lazy with age, more so than others.  I’d Get Baja turbo or 00-04 struts and springs for it, even used ones over new aftermarket or 05-09 stuff. 

I wonder why all the posts lately about loaded struts/shocks....very strange.

These are not available from reputable sources for Subarus. Spring compressors are not scary, or hard to get (most auto parts stores will rent you a set for a completely-refundable deposit). KYB are the best for aftermarket struts/springs, but I've had mediocre luck with them (lifetime warranty. IMO worth spending extra to get from a local source to simplify that warranty process. RockAuto is good about warranty, but you'll still be paying shipping).

• Like 1

Aside from parts directly from Subaru -

KYB struts all the way. None of the other aftermarkets are worth messing around with, imho. Too soft/mushy

KYB top mounts are of good quality as well - would not even bother with any others for that, either. Have used them on multiple vehicles over the years with no problems at all

For me, RockAuto is just "easy" - Even local parts stores have to order stuff for Subarus because they are not common enough in this area for them to keep things in stock (unless it is something that is common to other brands as well, like brake pads), and generally speaking, the local stores charge more than what I pay at RA, even with shipping costs. (yes, I cost compare before actually buying)

Example - From my local Advance Auto... as you can see, I can't even get them at my local store...

image.thumb.png.7f1f58290dce14638d275e15ccdbff8f.png

From Rock Auto...

image.thumb.png.f61000761f8d15b496fe2338f51bc90f.png

Advance is nearly twice the price for the exact same part - before we even get to shipping..

for both rear struts and shipping from RA, I spent $136.70 and they were delivered to my door - today.

• Like 1

I just did a KYB warranty exchange through RockAuto. Ended up being out return shipping, and about a 2 week process (luckily I have an extra car). And they only warrant the failed one, not the pair, so now I have a new strut across from a ~50k mile strut. 

No, not likely to be in stock, but you can typically order in to your local store for free (AutoZone ONLY ships next day air to their stores, so if they can get it, it'll be there in a business day or 2, no shipping charge). And with a friendly store manager, and a nice conversation, you could probably get the pair warranteed.

I still order through RockAuto all the time, it's just something to be aware of that is not as transparent up front. If I'm likely to need to warranty something, I almost always buy from a local store.

• Like 1

don't have an Auto Zone near me - nearest is an hour away.

it is either Advance Auto, O'Reilly's or Napa, and I rarely do business with the latter 2, mainly due to crappy customer service.

Used to do Car Quest occasionally, but Advance bought them out (at least here) so.... :unsure: