Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale Seat Belts

So, 2 issues with my seatbelts. 

#1: driver side motorized shoulder belt is intermittent in returning to its "home" position in the B pillar. Sometimes it goes right back, usually when I first start the car from cold. If I stop and get the mail or something, it will go 3/4 of the way and bell dings. Then randomly it will return to the safe position 10-15m later. When the door opens, it always goes all the way forward. Door switch is working properly and shows red on the dash when open and goes away when closed. Seat belt light works blinks when not in "home" position, and goes out when its all the way back. Relay? Circuit breaker? 

#2: when I tore out the interior and put in sound deadening material and vinyl rib flooring, the lap belt retracted all the way. Now it doesn't lock when I yank it. Is that normal? I don't remember from before if it locked. Does it only lock if there's a sudden impact? Is there a reset for this? 

I saw this when I didn't have time to write a reply, then it got pushed down far enough to loose track of...

Anyway,

The power thing, I had a flaky one, never got to troubleshooting it, the car got too rusted to bother.  I ended up getting my 93 before I spent the time on the belt system.  I have a set of the regular shoulder belts I intend to swap into my 93 that currently has the automatic belt, when they start to act up.  I HATE those power belts.

The lap belt, should pull out at normal speeds.  If you pull it very quickly, it should lock.  It's just a mechanical thing, RPM throws weights out [kind of like a governor] and engage a catch.

• Like 1

I cranked mine all the way back and locked it and unplugged the motor... I flip my shoulder belt... then when my friend Carole wants me to test drive her 92 legacy because its making weird noises I get wadded up because her's actually works:headbang: F kk yeeeah!!!

I never could figure it out...