Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all

I have a  2007 outback. The airbag light is on. I can’t seem to trace out the problem. I don’t know the history of the car I just bought it.  I was hoping someone would know how to pull the codes. Or anyone could link me to an old thread that may help me troubleshoot the problem.  The instrument panel light flashes along with the passenger light in the console.  I replaced the airbag board in the consul with a known working unit. That did not seem to help. I fixed a wiring attempt on the driver seat. 

I read about grounding the #2 pin on the scanner plug to pull up the codes. I didn’t get a chance to do it yet. I hope that works. 

Also I have dead windshield washer pumps. I checked most of the grounds and cleaned them up. I’m not sure if they are related to the airbag issue or not.

Edited by bullseye451

2 hours ago, brus brother said:

wow you beat me to the common failure point.

on my 05 outback it was a bad solder joint in the electrical board in the overhead console/map light

Apparently a common failure, I replaced the console before I read about the cold solder joint :-/

you are sure the replacement is a working unit?

Well the car it came off a wrecked Subaru that had deployed airbags. 

I did notice tonight my Subaru had a shattered windshield. I may have to check the car fax it it tell me something that I need to know.

The gentleman that sold it to me told me that the airbag module may be defective. I didn’t want to throw parts at it unless I know that it’s the problem. The board in the dash looked good on both but I didn’t use my meter on them to test it.

So I guess it is best to start with finding the diagnostic code.

The board issue I am referencing is in the overhead console. Two videos linked below discuss the same issue.

Diagnosis Code 26 and then repair starts at 8:07 on this first video.

and on this other video linked HERE another replaces the entire module $$$ but the comments below also reference refreshing ALL the solder joint even the LED. Chances are these boards flow through one solder station so all joints become suspect to the original manufacturer's faulty assembly. One comment also discusses a service to make the repair for $45 if you aren't comfortable with soldering.

Edited by brus brother

• 3 weeks later...

Well I found out some history on my vehicle.

It looks like the car was in an accident and the airbags deployed. 

So I didn’t know this because somehow the recent owner was able to keep a clean title for the car. Even though it was totaled.

Anyway I took it in for inspection and it failed big time.

The ABS messed up and caused the front brakes to stick and heated up my rotors and brakes on the drive there. The airbag control is throwing every code it can. Also the check engine light came on and started blinking on the drive back from the shop. 

It seems the computer may be from an incompatible car. I’m not sure about that though.

Well I’m going to need lots of advise on this one.

1. Has anyone had any experience with the ABS causing the front brakes only to stay on when the ABS light comes on.

2. What will I need to do to resolve an airbag deployed car? The airbag sensors seem to be replaced or in new condition. I looked over the car good and haven’t found where it was hit. The bodywork was done well if it needed it. I did notice the front windshield was replaced and the hood. Also the airbag recall was never done on this car. I am guessing that the bags deployed since the controller is throwing so many codes.

3. Can I re-flash the computer to make it work for my Subaru. (What system would you use to re-flash it)? I work on cars at my shop so I need to upgrade anyway. I can’t drop big money on it though. Maybe a tech 5 knock off or a used Snap-on scanner. I was looking at a WiFi scanner to pc or phone that can read srs codes and reset them but I’m not sure if they will let me re-flash the computer for the airbags. Or if it’s a dealer only setup. 

thanks guys 

I don't think it would be cost effective to get the software to reset your airbag module.  There are online services that do it for about $50.  I was lucky and got a unit from a pull and pay yard and put that in my 03 Forester and it was able to clear the airbag light. YMMV.

Blinking Check Engine light is usually a misfire code that can be spark plugs/wires/coil or injector issue.  NGK plugs and Wires as well as OEM coils only (get one from a pull and pay yard).

Ok I’ll keep on researching 

i haven’t had time to check the misfire yet since I’m out of town 

Does anyone know if I can tell if an airbag sensor was triggered or faulty? Also once they are triggered can they be reused?

Edited by bullseye451

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2019 at 7:34 PM, bullseye451 said:

Ok I’ll keep on researching 

i haven’t had time to check the misfire yet since I’m out of town 

Does anyone know if I can tell if an airbag sensor was triggered or faulty? Also once they are triggered can they be reused?

Well I limped it home after failing an inspection.

the dash was lit up like a Christmas tree. 
I’ll need to check the computer to see what’s up but I’m at a loss why it is going nuts.

The ABS system is keeping the front brakes from releasing I disconnected the harness fro it and the brakes freed up.

It is a electronic nightmare