Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PSA good communication and prompt shipping would have saved alot of hassle

8 hours ago, Jack in Norfolk said:

I didn't see anyone else mention this, but Shawn is not the creator of the forum; Billy Clements created it sometime before I joined in 1997 or so.

I'm not saying this to defame Shawn at all, but rather to point out what a good guy he is for taking over USMB and acting as "curator" of this long-running wealth of Subaru knowledge and community. 

Had I been in the buyer's situation, I would also have been frustrated with the events that took place and the time frame, especially given the lack of communication (obviously the most frustrating part of the ordeal). I'm glad that some resolution has been reached, but Shawn has been accused of being a thief in plain letters for all to read. That has proven not to be true. A public apology is in order. 

If the buyer is still pissed about the way things transpired, that is certainly understandable, but the criticism should be based on what happened, or rather what did not (effective communications) rather than allowing an untrue accusation stand

I disagree with the OPs approach, assumptions and language - but I understand his perspective and expecting an apology seems over the top at this point.  He doesn’t know what’s true or untrue but I think the title and language could be edited. 

***To him it could appear that no resolution happened until this was escalated.***

Few of us would be impressed by someone taking something for 6 months and then only returning it once there was public pressure and they were “forced” to.

I wouldn’t apologize to someone that needed “forced” to give my stuff back and couldn’t do it under their own accord for half a year. I’d say “thank you” and move on.

Im not saying that’s what happened, but it could look like it to the OP.

There’s no way to prove whats “true” or “untrue” with 100% one sided circumstantial evidence. I think we can help without trying to ascertain true or untrue.

I think the OP should edit the language to reflect dissatisfaction over an anecdotal, complicated personal transaction and just state facts. The language used borders libel and slander for a complicated personal transaction with limited data. 

The OP could have chosen to arrange their own shipping or gotten the item themselves but chose to pay an individual and let them do all the work.  There’s a “cost” to expecting people to do the bulk of heavy and difficult labor inexpensively. 

You found an inexpensive rare trans from a reputable person - do everything you can to work and get it.  Fly out arrange shipping yourself...etc. (which I have done before).  Too lazy or busy to do it?  Then don’t be surprised when shipping cumbersome transmissions doesn’t go smoothly sometimes. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, idosubaru said:

I disagree with the OPs approach, assumptions and language - but I understand his perspective and expecting an apology seems over the top at this point.  He doesn’t know what’s true or untrue but I think the title and language could be edited. 

***To him it could appear that no resolution happened until this was escalated.***

Few of us would be impressed by someone taking something for 6 months and then only returning it once there was public pressure and they were “forced” to.

I wouldn’t apologize to someone that needed “forced” to give my stuff back and couldn’t do it under their own accord for half a year. I’d say “thank you” and move on.

Im not saying that’s what happened, but it could look like it to the OP.

There’s no way to prove whats “true” or “untrue” with 100% one sided circumstantial evidence. I think we can help without trying to ascertain true or untrue.

I think the OP should edit the language to reflect dissatisfaction over an anecdotal, complicated personal transaction and just state facts. The language used borders libel and slander for a complicated personal transaction with limited data. 

The OP could have chosen to arrange their own shipping or gotten the item themselves but chose to pay an individual and let them do all the work.  There’s a “cost” to expecting people to do the bulk of heavy and difficult labor inexpensively. 

You found an inexpensive rare trans from a reputable person - do everything you can to work and get it.  Fly out arrange shipping yourself...etc. (which I have done before).  Too lazy or busy to do it?  Then don’t be surprised when shipping cumbersome transmissions doesn’t go smoothly sometimes. 

Thank you. But I will change the first post so everyone will calm down. And as far as shipping. He offered it to me for $500 shipped. So I figured he had everything planned out if he knew how much he could ship it for

26 minutes ago, IROCDUDE89 said:

Thank you. But I will change the first post so everyone will calm down. And as far as shipping. He offered it to me for $500 shipped. So I figured he had everything planned out if he knew how much he could ship it for

Well done. Title is edited, good job.  “t” word is still in the body and picture of first and following posts - maybe edit that out? There’s probably another word that’s less charged and more accurate.  6 months from payment to delivery, is fairly troubling on its own, though still circumstantial to a public audience. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, IROCDUDE89 said:

Glad to see that you changed the post. Thank you for your consideration.

More importantly, I was really glad to see you note that Shawn is a good guy! Always good to see things come to an amicable resolution. 

Aside from our shared interest in these awesome and quirky little cars, the thing that has always made this forum stand out to me is the level of decorum. There is a distinct lack of D-bags on the USMB. Since my first Subie, I have owned Toyotas, Hondas, a Jeep and a Dodge. The other forums can be brutal! Ask one wrong question, and someone with a whole lot of "keyboard courage" is posting awful things about your Mom simply because you are a "noob." Somehow, we don't seem to get into the negativity, the politics, the "toxic masculinity" and all of the other crap that pops up on other car forums. I have found the USMB members to be genuinely good folks and I truly enjoy the camaraderie. So thank you for re-affirming all of that today IrocDude.

The Subarus we like are growing scarce, and eventually, the knowledge of these cars will as well. We all make better friends than enemies and it's in our best interest to to find a way to keep on keeping on as a community.

Edited by Jack in Norfolk
typo
  • Like 2