Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3rd gen ‘00MY Legacy AWD- what’s it like?

I love my Subarus.

I’m in the market for a new workhorse/family car.

How about a clean 114k mile AWD dual-range Legacy wagon 3 from 2000? It has the NA EJ20, so not that quick, but I have an EJ22 standing by just in case....

I have not yet studied this version in any depth, so any information or tips from owners would be very welcome. Similarities between earlier generation legacies etc?

Many thanks

CEC36937-D2AF-4CDB-BE76-926980A984BA.jpeg.5ccc396cba9712ab73c6d0f46cde9920.jpegAAC36220-6FF4-4BB3-A0A6-CB21B5CEFBF7.jpeg.3df328e3da7a8cdcbf4e8e42820ca8cf.jpeg

Front end is bacially the same. Rear end setup is completely different. 

Our 2.5L RX with 17 inch rims drives like it’s on rails. A larger cat back exhaust makes the engine feel like it has more get up and go. 

I like it, my sister likes it - which is good, because she smashes the km on it hard! We got it at 330,000km, it’s now got well over 420,000 in less than three years. 

Solid platform, looks good, sounds good (genome muffler - bit loud but it keeps the Roos away! An UEL Y pipe unleashes the subi beat), comfortable to drive long distances etc. winner in our book. 

Ns3F98.jpg 

noAJLU.jpg 

The RX model over head comes with climate control too. A nice feature to have - set and forget ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

edit: these can have issues with a dead centre diff. To check for it you need to warm the drivetrain up with a short drive, then perform some tight turns - U turns are best. If the centre diff is toast, it’ll produce a rotational clunking sound and a possible light shudder through the car too. 

Edited by el_freddo
  • Thanks 1

Good info Bennie

I know all about the centre diff failure- After paying the dealer for the Forester I took it for a long fast drive to fill the time before boarding the ferry to our island, and soon after discovered the clonk-clonk-clonk in tight slow turns.

They sent me a replacement, and I fitted it myself (three years later!)

- This blue wagon has the 2.0 with 125hp, like the Forester- it’s a big car and I don’t know if it’ll be up to the job we would throw at it.
The EJ20 in the Forester seems OK with the manual gearbox, and the dual range gets used every day. 

After all I reckon that another Forester is our best option, for a power-to-size-to-offroad capability, plus I know it inside-out!

You'll be sure to find out as soon as I have made my final decision!

Thx