Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil in Reservoir?

Have the engine back together. Used the anaerobic sealant on the intake too along with the gaskets provided for extra sealing protection. Appears to work very well and seems more trustworthy than RTV. Unfortunately it was just a cardboard/paper type gasket instead of the reinforced type. I did drain the oil pan the rest of the way, and was sure to lift it straight and tilt it so as to remove as much as possible. Was mainly just residual oil but I did see a small amount of coolant come out. Now just waiting on the rain to stop so I can get it back in the car. Everything should be sealed tight by the time I can do that so I will be able to add fluids immediately and test it out. By the way, I want to give an extra special thanks to DaveT for his info in a separate thread. I noticed on both heads and all 4 cylinders those little cracks between the valves. Without the info you provided on it being a normal occurence and non-issue, I would have been freaking out about finding some heads, so many thanks for that.

Edited by loyalematt
  • Like 2

Got it back in the car and put back together, in 30 degree weather no less. Just used cheap oil with about half quart of Marvel mystery oil and filled the coolant up checking it several times until it no longer dropped. Quite a bit of ticking to start but quieted down after a few mins. And for the first time in a couple years, no noticeable oil leak from it which is great. Let it idle for a while keeping an eye on the temp gauge and ran right where it always has. Made a short trip to make sure everything was good and performed very well. Thanks again everyone for the helpful tips along the way. I will only be changing out the intake gaskets for OEM in the near future but otherwise finished.

• Like 1