Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA to EJ temp question

Hey everyone! Just got my 91 2.2L Legacy engine running in my 82 brat and it moves under its own power now! I just need to weld the exhaust in and finish up a bit more with the wiring to complete it!

For those who have done the swap, how can I go about putting in a temperature gauge? Im not sure about a digital one or if there is any way to make it work with the brat gauge cluster. If I go digital should I run it off the harness or do something else?

Also for the speedometer and tachometer I know I can use some unused wires in the brat and legacy VSS (USA) but does anyone have a picture of how they wired it? Also is there any calibration or anything needed to line them up? Tried putting the brat speedo cable in the legacy 5MT but no dice lol...

If I have left any info out or used weird lingo please let me know I would appreciate it! Thanks for the help!

Grain of salt: my expertise is with EA82s, but off the top of my head I think EA81 is the same or similar....but I could be wrong.

You can hook the EJ temp sensor to the Brat gauge and it will read low, but still usable (you sort of have to mentally re calibrate what normal is...). You can use a resistor to fix that reading (details in the writeup). EA sensor uses larger threads than the EJ, so can't use that, and I don't think there's enough material to drill/tap to the larger size. Also there are universal sensor housings out there that fit inline with a radiator hose. If you go aftermarket (digital or analog), you can reuse that wire in the EJ harness for a clean installation.

Tach is just a matter of hooking up the correct wire from the EJ ECU to the Brat gauge.

Speedometer is mechanical. I know that an EA82 cable will work with an EJ transmission. People have swapped EA82 and EJ transmissions into EA81s many times, and I don't recall any discussion of any difficulty with cables there....

10 hours ago, Numbchux said:

Grain of salt: my expertise is with EA82s, but off the top of my head I think EA81 is the same or similar....but I could be wrong.

You can hook the EJ temp sensor to the Brat gauge and it will read low, but still usable (you sort of have to mentally re calibrate what normal is...). You can use a resistor to fix that reading (details in the writeup). EA sensor uses larger threads than the EJ, so can't use that, and I don't think there's enough material to drill/tap to the larger size. Also there are universal sensor housings out there that fit inline with a radiator hose. If you go aftermarket (digital or analog), you can reuse that wire in the EJ harness for a clean installation.

Tach is just a matter of hooking up the correct wire from the EJ ECU to the Brat gauge.

Speedometer is mechanical. I know that an EA82 cable will work with an EJ transmission. People have swapped EA82 and EJ transmissions into EA81s many times, and I don't recall any discussion of any difficulty with cables there....

Thanks for all the help!!