Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Removing rear door gusset - 2010 Forester

Hello!

New member here. I have a 2010 2.5X with a broken rear door gusset. See photos. I’ve temporarily sealed the gap with some putty-like coax seal. I have a replacement part ready to install (see photo), but I don‘t know how to remove the broken gusset piece from the car. There’s many a YouTube video explaining the front door gussets, but nothing I can find regarding the rear doors. There’s a plastic clip in the new part. Is that the only thing holding it in place? Would a plastic door panel removal tool do the job? Is there any glue involved that would require heating with a hair dryer in order to soften it? I’ve seen schematics that appear to indicate a screw that I think would need to be accessed from the inside of the door, but I’m not totally sure on that. The schematic is confusing to me. See attached. Any help is much appreciated!!!
Thanks very much.
Gordon

5CA20FE2-0E6E-40E2-8449-36C41D41504E.jpeg

A7473C9D-64AC-4A94-B867-A616107F46C7.jpeg

The new part, waiting to be installed...

37DFCB8C-657B-431D-90D6-B742C843AE99.jpeg

E62DBBE1-32D3-40DE-ADA7-843D75106E45.jpeg

Edited by sparklehorse

Can you get a diagram of the internal "gusset"? I am guessing that that part just snaps into place and covers the access to the screw that secures the exterior gusset (assisted by the retentive clip). Probably no glue involved but you can evaluate after removing the screw.

Pry the internal gusset off with a trim removal tool to gain access to the screw.

Edited by brus brother

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, here’s an update for posterity. As brus brother surmised, you do in fact have to first remove the plastic cover on the inside of the door. That one pops off easily enough with a door panel removal tool, but you have to pry from the rearward side. Once that’s off you have access to two smallish Phillips head screws that hold the outside cover in place. These can be seen in somick’s photo (which was confusing to me when I first saw it, but makes sense now). Be sure to get the correct gusset cover, I don‘t think the left side gusset cover would fit the right side. Good luck!

65A1A206-2D47-4D39-B4ED-AFE1EA5E27A8.jpeg