Ultimate Subaru Message Board

??? ULTIMATE GL BUILD??? What questions don’t I know to ask???

Exhaust Y pipes and mid pipe at a minimum - you could take whole exhaust with the intention to modify to fit until you come up with the coin for a custom exhaust. 

Airbox and intake to engine if that’s somehow overlooked. 

I think you’ve got everything covered. 

The driveshafts could be sold on and the rear diff will bolt into your wagon. Ratio might be different though. 

Little nuts and bolts could be good to grab for little jobs etc. interior lights could be fitted to the MY wagon. Anything is better than the factory cabin light in the MYs!! 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

That is exactly what I'm curious to know!

On 8/20/2022 at 8:50 PM, 573417h said:

Did this swap get finished in the end?

I have swapped a '97 obs 2.2L and it's entire wire harness into '81 GL wagon. Has taken far longer than imagined and isn't a daily driver yet, but almost across the finish. I sure hope that you finish that sexy beast. Then take it out on a scenic tour, getting many advertising worthy photos. Then you could share a select few with all us here.🤩

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hippyloc said:

I have swapped a '97 obs 2.2L and it's entire wire harness into '81 GL wagon.

The ENTIRE ‘97 harness into the ‘81 GL?! That’s nuts, and effort! Any tips or tricks for ppl that might consider going this way? 

I’m curious as to how you dealt with the length of the wiring loom in the smaller MY body! 

Cheers 

Bennie