Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electrical Issues: Wipers and Headlights

So I have a 2000 Subaru Legacy GT Sedan that I’ve had about 2 years and just over a year ago the windshield wipers and sprayers started going off non stop. Pulled the fuse to make it stop and just used a bunch of rain x to put a bandaid on it. Just last night I was on my way home and my passenger headlight went out shortly followed by my drivers side headlight. When it went out I heard a loud click. The brights still work but no DRL or low beams. Both fuses are mint as is the relay and the bulbs, any thoughts on what this could be? Also upon looking it seems that there was a blowout on the drivers front tire that really messed up the wire harness, does anyone think this is the culprit and if so what portion of the wire harness is this?

AF774F21-17B3-4DE2-A106-ABD6F59FF7FE.jpeg

It took a minute to get my bearings. This is looking in the driver's wheel well towards the front, correct? Looks like the back of the corner light and fog light in the distance.

Looks like you nearly had a fire! You are likely going to be chasing electrical gremlins with that car for the rest of it's life. This is a fantastic example why that fender liner is so important.

Download the correct wiring diagrams (www.jdmfsm.info is a great source). The best fix (other than a new harness) is to pull that harness loose from the front of the car, and lay it out of the fender, and cut the tape and loom back so you can inspect and repair every wire in that section. I wouldn't be surprised if you'd have 10-15 hours of your life into that. Pull the fuse box out, and empty several cans of brake or contact cleaner into the bottom of it. You might have decent luck tracing and repairing individual problems, but you will have more.

And yea, get a fender liner on there. I saw an old turbo legacy sent to the crusher because it didn't have a fender liner, and kept having electrical problems. It wasn't the greatest car, but if someone had spent $20 on a crappy aftermarket liner, it would have been driven for many more years.