Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey everyone I just had a quick question... I have a 1991 ej22 from a Subaru legacy L in the United States. There is an opportunity for me to buy a 2.5RS Impreza transmission from 99-01 with the transmission code of TY754VCAAB. Will this Transmission bolt up and work for my engine? I know I will have to fabricate the shift linkage and transmission mount and drive shaft etc, but I was just more concerned if this works out. Also would I need to mess with the ECU at all? Thanks

It will work. 

The gearbox is probably an 8 bolt at the bell housing and your EJ22 will be a four bolt. 

Just use the four bolts to hold the gearbox and a engine together. You will need to arrange a stud for the lower starter motor mount as the gearbox uses this as a bolt in the 8 bolt setup. Or just use the top mount bolt to do the job. 

Ive done this with my L series - gen1 EJ22 four bolt engine, 2003 forester SG eight bolt (phase 2) gearbox. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2020 at 9:53 AM, heartless said:

dont forget that the drive ratios need to match between tranny & rear diff.. if they dont you will have problems.

On 3/14/2020 at 1:43 AM, el_freddo said:

It will work. 

The gearbox is probably an 8 bolt at the bell housing and your EJ22 will be a four bolt. 

Just use the four bolts to hold the gearbox and a engine together. You will need to arrange a stud for the lower starter motor mount as the gearbox uses this as a bolt in the 8 bolt setup. Or just use the top mount bolt to do the job. 

Ive done this with my L series - gen1 EJ22 four bolt engine, 2003 forester SG eight bolt (phase 2) gearbox. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Hey guys my bad! I didn't have notifications turned on for this post! Thank you for the info! Also for the diff, how do I go about that? Should I just find the diff meant to go with that tranny? Thanks again!