Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all,

2005 outback auto trans with 180k, new to me. Great service records and babied by first owner. First start of the day doesn't catch for about 10 seconds if I turn the key directly to start. If I wait in the on position for a few seconds before starting, it will catch right away. Car runs great otherwise, new upstream o2 sensor, new plugs & wires, no CEL. Ideas? Fuel pump? Fuel pressure regulator? Live with it?

Try this, turn the key to on wait about 4 seconds and turn the key off, then try to start it normally.

Sounds like the fuel pressure is bleeding down when it sets overnight.

More than likely the fuel pump check valve is not holding the pressure. Or the pressure regulator, but I doubt it.

How old is the fuel filter?

Fuel pressure testing gauges are not that expensive. You can leave it hooked up until you are finished testing and it gives you an extra line to bleed off the pressure before you remove it.

Hook it in the fuel line right after the filter with the Tee and then see what pressure it runs at and then look at the gauge in the morning to see if it is down.

Buy or make a vice grip pliers to pinch the rubber fuel line. First pinch the line coming into the filter from the pump and check the pressure in the morning. That will verify if the pump  is leaking or not. Then if you have to, do the same with the hose going to the engine. That will verify if the pressure regulator leaking or not.

Does the engine oil smell like fuel? 

You could have a leaking injector. 

If  your engine oil doesn’t smell like fuel then learn to let the fuel line pressurise before rolling into the start position with with key. Treat it like a diesel where you have to wait for the glow plugs to warm up when it hasn’t been driven for an hr or longer. 

Cheers 

Bennie