Ultimate Subaru Message Board

roll over switch ?

Hey gang.my grandson is buying my 1984 hatchback. the roll over switch ? (the small blue box just above the hood latch ) is bad. I have it hot wired off the battery now,but need a more permanent solution ... can a guy  buy one of these somewhere? is that the right name/ i was always told it was a roll over switch..? so...... any thoughts ? thank you ,todd

It's a revolution sensor. It stops the fuel pump if the engine isn't running. The blue version is also used to power the carb electric choke on the feedback models. How do you know it's "bad"? Check the solder joints on the board. This will do the same job:

https://www.amazon.com/Revolution-Electronics-Electric-Controller-Primes/dp/B00BNZ05JM

GD

• Like 1

cool ...I will check that out ,Hope your doing ok in these crazy times   insert big thumbs up Hmmmmm ?  its just over the years i have replaced that to get the pump going...and assumed it was bad.so can a guy just run a hot wire that the key can shut off to the pump lead on the revolution senser ? or just spend the cash and do it "the right way"?

Edited by old sub freak

You *could* just jumper it out. It already has incoming power for the pump. Basically look for the two biggest wires going into that module and make a wire with a couple male spades on it to jump across the connector. Pump should run that point. Probably won't be ignition switched.... not sure on that. You could also use an oil pressure switch from a GM in place of the rev sensor. Or you could mount the fuel tank on the roof and gravity feed the carb. There's as many creative solutions as there are stars in the sky. But I would just check the solder joints on the board or replace it with a new unit that does the same job if it were me. I don't see the point in fighting it that hard. 

GD

English cars of the sixtys and seventys such as Triumph ran true roll over safety switches that had a weighted plunger that disengaged fuel pump power should body invert.

From memory they also had oil pressure switch safety for electric fuel pump just in case you could not properly flip it upside down or roll over

GD is right in suggesting you try bypass as part of your diagnostic steps before blaming that module

Thank you Guys.. my Grandson is stoked to get it..Taking out the welded diff tommorow. Let him learn the ropes before he gets in trouble up in the woods or having to replace wheel bearing ect from driving with  the differential  end welded up..Thanks again ,Todd  so i put this on and Nada....the pump worked hotwired from the  battery  but not like this...is that hooked up right ? i will go check the fuses ect...thank you again for the help,toddIMG_5994.thumb.JPG.490c6dfc225199f64a10a1e06c33837e.JPG

so.... I still have no power to the fuel pump .I did the hot wire but still no power to the pump..??is there a place in that line that could be broken ? or did i hook up the "hot wire"wrong ? my hot wire from the battery to the pump came apart yesterday as the Grandson was driving his new Subaru hatch back ....i need a permanent fix for it ....how hard is it to install that "relay"thing from amazon...?  Thank you and everyone take care