Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A special thanks ...

to the turkey specifying 22 mm long M4 0.7 screws for both hold down screws for my Series One MPFi dizzy cap Hitachi

they ( must have been a team effort) caught my memory out !

one screw is not supposed to be longer than 16-17mm or it hits the vacuum advance /boost retard housing

put it in, screw the cap down , cap not secured, and you can start to screw up the threads.

lucky I had the time, a tap and other old caps to compare to remind self !

The cap made in Japan, boxed as Standard, with a packet of same length screws included, bought from Rock 

I am thinking this error did not occur in Japan.

Replacing cap more as preventative measure more than anything else. Gave engine bay a wash n wax, n rinse yesterday and got the moisture under the cap this morning.

Tossed up to check it for moisture before drive off, but last few washes had no moisture, so ...

First incline away from home and she coughed. The terminals inside the cap no longer like new so out it comes to join the other retired dizzy cap collection

Edited by Step-a-toe

Thanks. I had been planning to inspect cap anyway. Even on inspection they looked sort of OK, but it was using the prehistoric tool known as a points file I could see the minor rot. I run draw through propane ( and a little butane) so need ignition in the healthiest condition