Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Temp control sensor

I've been battling the staring up of my 89 gl non turbo since the weather has turned colder. And was nearly impossible to get started and keep running last week at deer camp, when at its coldest it was 6 degrees. I've been pointed in the direction of a temp control sensor, but was also told there were possibly 2, one that goes to your gauge, and one that actually feeds info to the ecm. My gauge works fine, so I believe it gets its info from the one on the thermostat housing (but do correct me if I'm wrong). But I'm not sure where to look for or even what the second one looks like, if anyone has a link that could show me a picture, or a part number or both that would be great. I have a difficult time with our local napa when it comes to getting the correct part, they always ask if its the Subaru 1.8, and yes that's what it has for an engine, but that's not the only years obviously. 4 tries to get a correct axle shaft, and they got it wrong all 4 times. We live in a rural area, and don't have a ton of options for parts stores here. Any insight would be greatly appreciated as elk season starts soon, and I don't foresee it getting any warmer anytime soon. Thanks in advance.

I will check this out, thank you. Do you happen to have a part number for it. The only place I've checked so far is rock auto. They have a number of different ones listed, but it isn't clear to me which one is which based on their description. Or a recommendation for where to get one.

I bought one from a Subaru dealer a number of years ago.   I figured  $3.00 per year the old one lasted wasn't too bad a deal.  Need a new one every 30 years.

They can fail without triggering the ECU to set a code.  If it is telling the ECU the engine is hot, it won't pump the extra fuel needed to start and run a cold engine. 

• Like 1