Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear side-window

Hey,

i‘m from Germany and want to bring an xt Turbo back on berlin‘s streets. I found this nice piece of Engineering in a Garage, Sitting there for Almost his whole life, since The early 90ies. Unfortunately some Bad guys broke The passengers side rear window and as you can Imagine, there is no Parts anywhere to get for this exotic car. Does anyone of you can help me out?

cheers

Did you call Subaru dealer and ask?  I know that's unlikely. 

There's one for sale for $50 a little out of my way I can go pick up.

I'm unsure how safe glass is going to be to ship even if it's heavily packaged - but I'm moderately willing to try.  

Shipping to Germany, for 10 or 20 pound package:

First Class (the cheapest option, takes the longest):  I couldn't find those rates

Priority mail :  $80 for 10 pounds, $135 for 20 pounds.  

$50 glass + $80 for the part = $130 plus any taxes or fees.  But that assumes 10 pounds is an accurate guess on weight - I'm not sure what the final package weight will be with glass and materials. 

Tchuss!

• Like 1

Hi ido

Hi idosubaru,

Thanks for your super fast response, I did not ask dealers around, there won’t be any parts (especially things like this rear window), but I will try. 
After these calls I head back here. Your offer sounds good, thanks a lot! I think 10 pounds should work with package… 
I found this for shipping csubaru,

Thanks for your super fast response, I did not ask dealers around, there won’t be any parts (especially things like this rear window), but I will try. 
After these calls I head back here. Your offer sounds good, thanks a lot! I think 10 pounds should work with package… 
I found this for shipping costs: 
USPS Priority Mail International $35.65 6-10 business days

I don’t need the devise immediately when I can lower the costs;) but for your time and gas I would like to pay YOU some money. What about 30 bucks?
I'll let you know, when all the dealers had disappointed me:)
Cheers 

hey idosubaru,

I just called some dealers and Subaru Germany, they got the vin and promised to call me if there is something like a rear window to find. so I wait and we'll see. I've got another question: the fuel pump doesn't work and the gas is over 20 years old, so how could I start the car? I already tried with start pilot, but not succesfully. spark plugs are new and there is a spark on every plug, what is wrong when air, gas and a spark are in the game? do you have a clue?

IMG_7546.JPG

You’ll need a new fuel pump. 

It would be a good idea to remove and clean the fuel tank, replace all rubber fuel lines including those under the intake manifold. 

While the manifold is off replace all coolant hoses with new items. 

You could get it started first then do all the fuel and coolant hoses so you know for sure that it’s a runner to begin with. 

Alternatively, try some Aerostart to see if it will fire on that. 

Good idea to drain oil and assess its condition, replace with cheap stuff for the purpose of initial start up and giving it something fresh to lubricate with. If there’s water or coolant in the oil you have a head gasket issue.

Cheers 

Bennie

19 hours ago, XT barn-finder said:

Hi ido

Hi idosubaru,

I found this for shipping csubaru,Thanks for your super fast response, I did not ask dealers around, there won’t be any parts (especially things like this rear window), but I will try. 
After these calls I head back her. Your offer sounds good, thanks a lot! I think 10 pounds should work with package… 
I found this for shipping costs: 

I don’t need the devise immediately when I can lower the costs;) but for your time and gas I would like to pay YOU some money. What about 30 bucks?
I'll let you know, when all the dealers had disappointed me:)
Cheers 

Post a link to where you got that information from. 

This site is showing the rates I quoted, so something is way off: 

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm?_gl=1*17cwbj8*_gcl_aw*R0NMLjE2MDc1MjE4NzAuQ2p3S0NBaUFpTUwtQlJBQUVpd0F1V1ZnZ29YS1daVlM3Q010aktJbjFIUkZVVU9tWnJZUlRJb01mSGNWbTJoSFJTcHhySUtFaERKS1Zob0NlakFRQXZEX0J3RQ..*_gcl_dc*R0NMLjE2MDc1MjE4NzAuQ2p3S0NBaUFpTUwtQlJBQUVpd0F1V1ZnZ29YS1daVlM3Q010aktJbjFIUkZVVU9tWnJZUlRJb01mSGNWbTJoSFJTcHhySUtFaERKS1Zob0NlakFRQXZEX0J3RQ..#_c330

5 hours ago, XT barn-finder said:

hhe fuel pump doesn't work and the gas is over 20 years old, so how could I start the car?

drain all the gas you can from the tank and lines in the vehicle.  install new fuel filter and fuel pump. 

injectors should be tested at a minimum (if that's possible, i've never heard of anyone testing them) or cleaned.  over here there are companies that clean injectors.  i think John has used this company before:

https://www.witchhunter.com/

I'm not sure if old gas can harm the fuel pressure regulator but I would ask if there's any way to clean or test that. 

Also I've been driving XT's for 28 years, was in the original Yahoo XT boards in the 90's where I met a few of the current members here (john, huck, austin...), have been moderator of Subaruxt.com forever (which went down and has massive background issues last year), and have shipped XT parts to Europe, New Zealand, Australia...and I think South America.  

Anyway, all that to say, I'm not going anywhere and I've got enough experience to easily pull this off. 

I don't think the rear side glass is tinted at all is it - so all XT's should be the same?

21 hours ago, XT barn-finder said:

Hi i

I logged into my shipping account. With a German address, 10 pounds shipping weight, Priority Mail International was $78.52. 

7 pounds = $67.40
5 pounds = $60.09

Which is similar to the charts and data I linked to above.

When I enter an Envelope and 1 ounce, I get $35.60 - so that price you quoted seems to be for a light weight envelope, not a large, heavy package. 

If I select First Class (which is typically cheaper and takes longer than Priority) - it won't let me enter any weight over 4 pounds and says:

"The weight entered is more than the maximum value for this package type"

Edited by idosubaru

@ idosubaru:

I only put shipping costs use to Germany into my browser, didn't do a proper research, so you are definitely right with yours.

@ the crowd

for all your advices many thanks, I have to tell you something. this car I'm talking about isn't in my property yet. I'm still waiting for the authorities saying "we can't find the owner, so you can take it", that's why I only can do research and perhaps taking pictures at the moment;) 

when I have a "go" I would like to order the glass from you (idosubaru) hope they decide in upcoming days/weeks.

merry x-mas to all of you 

Good luck! That's a fantastic car, and one of my favorite color schemes of all the XT's.  That maroon looks real sharp and is used often for photos

https://autopolis.wordpress.com/2009/08/06/1985-1990-subaru-xtxt6/

I didn't mean to flood the thread with shipping - I've done just enough international shipping to have a rough idea of the process.  but it's still confusing due to various rules, tiers for different countries, size, and other logistics. so I'm not sure until I finish all the post office details, customs, and pay for the label.