Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What rear suspension should I swap into my first gen Brat.

Chance

Id like to know what rear suspension would be the best to swap into my first gen. 1981 Brat. The fist gens aren't that great for adding lifts or even finding parts for. I know the later models are a little wider, but i have plenty of fabrication experience. I plan on swapping in a ej22 later. A better question would be, what donor car should I be looking for. Years and models please. Im new to subarus. Id also like to keep the D/R 4spd. Unless i can find a better dual range option.

• 11 months later...

Chance , take some time and dig through the archives. I’m not a lifted owner but I’ve been here long enough to have seen it all pretty much. There’s a lot of info , or should be. 

But I’ll agree the first gen gets less attention and there’s less all around as you pointed out. Good news is you’re a fabricator.

Don’t hold me to this because I am indeed getting old. But I think you want a dual range five speed - if you’re heart is like mine - they’re the best for fun and function. Those are found in the 85-89’s and if Turbo may likely have an LSD 3.70 and I think you find LSD 3.90 in some models - maybe the full time AWD ? I can’t recall all that detail. 

And also many people and my heart go for the early 2.2 EJ22 as it’s known. 

Bellhousing mate kits were out there and although thin you may find a friend in SJR who is one of us and a great person as well as a superior resource for lift kits. Another person does those transmission mate kits as well but I can’t recall the guy at this time. 

When I get back into the game I’ll be doing the same I’m mentioning. I have a 2.2 and am getting another 1978 4WD wagon. 

Good luck with it. 

7 hours ago, moosens said:

All that and I didn’t answer the rear suspension question. Not one with experience so I’ll point to the archives. 

Since you fab I’m sure you can come up with options. Enjoy ! 

Don't worry about it. The original post is almost a year old, and the poster hasn't logged in since March. I don't think it matters.