Ultimate Subaru Message Board

On 1/17/2023 at 5:40 PM, el_freddo said:

Oil weeping always occurs with the cam retainer plate, especially if it’s not resealed when replacing HGs. 

Even then there’s no guarantee the leak won’t stay away for a great deal of time… 

I think a lot of the oil down under is due in part to a bad oil pan seal (done by po) and the drivers side head cam retainer plate (I call this a cam cover??) done by me. And yes I sealed it but looks like I need to rethink how I did it. I think the cam retainer-cover leak is getting oil all over the drivers side exhaust gasket. Valve covers are leaking a bit. 

Pulled the driver side head off. All the bolts creaked and some thread shavings on at least one bolt. Visible fluid trail on the cylinder walls of #2 and #4 at 6:00 (bottom of cylinder). Looks like oil and coolant mix. Same section of the head (bottom) is oil stained. Heads look different from when it was an obvious coolant leak (prior job). Exhaust valves were clean before, now they are carbonized/oily.

Don't think its bad rings. Compression and leak down test was ok. Could be from the oil galleries? (low pressure)  or from the oil high pressure side on top? (the high pressure section of the gasket looks suspect to me). I used subaru turbo multi level steel (mls) gaskets. Wondering about flatness of the block. Heads were decked previously.

Going to clean the block and head with 3m 120 grit white abrasive disc. Waiting for a decent mech straight edge. I don't trust my old straight edge anymore for assessing the flatness of these surfaces, but there is light showing through.