Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Geeze!!!     just noticed it was like three years ago....

put in one of those   Contitech  Pro series Plus timing belt kits......   

I got about sixty k on the the belt and components.....

It has been good.... It is still quiet........

With all the other stuff I have to do..(other vehicles and projects)...... I can't see myself doing the belt...(too bogged downa with stuff)....

Contitech says good stuff about these belt kits........  What do you think the life of these kits are?????

Micky

Sounds like you’re already set on not doing it. Just take your chances, they’re in your favor. 

But I mean the belt and one pulley can be done in 45 minutes   

But It’s best to check - those are interference year engines, so you could end up with another big project instead of easy regular maintenance.  the aftermarket kits aren’t as good as OEM.  The belt and lower cogged idler are the only main issues.

Install a Subaru belt and Subaru Lower idler (only $35 or cheaper) next time.  They can be done in an hour. Very easy on EJ22s. 

Ido,,,,,, Ido knows....

Yeah,

currently doing a clutch in a vw diesel.....  next is a timing belt in a toyota Solar.....

So..... I just need to have a sense of ... piece of mind.. for the time being...... Cuz.... I am spread kinda thin at the moment...

Yeah,   I blew this one up..... once already......(the EJ22)

right when I purchased it.......

It sat... for a while...B4.. I bought it for a song...........

got it running........ had all sorts of problems.....(nothing that couldn't be fixed)

It was time to drive it home......(about a five hour drive)[probably put 300 miles on it after I got it working.  I w2as like yeah..... should do the belt should do the belt...

started out on the trip...... and wham!.......   going up some crazy hill in the mountains.... she blew.....

Towed it back to the place I bought it.......

Asked if they wouldn't mind if I ripped it apart in the driveway........

and brought the heads home.......

(etc etc.....)   I put new valves in on the intakes.......).....

60K later......

So you think...... I should be good for a little while........  20 or so. more... K........( OI get a chance I i will take a peek at it)

I miss my non-interference EA82's.........

Thanks,  Micky

Yeah it’s tough.  Chances of failure are low.  But you’re looking at more bent valves again if it does.

As a less time intensive check pull the front timing cover, nothing else, and check the lower sprocket with a Mechanics stethoscope with the engine running.  That’s about the only thing with a reasonable chance of failing.  That wouldn’t take long at all.  If you don’t have the covers on it would take 1 minute.