Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fan Thermo Temp Range

Will be converting over to an electric radiator cooling fan soon in the 89 GL (decided that when I had to change the belts). Would like to get the communities thoughts on the temp range for the thermo switch. I believe the range for the factory one is 200-185F but I am not sure. I live in Arkansas where the temp ranges from 110 - 20F, vehicle is a DD most traffic I have is behind a combine during harvest. I am leaning towards a 190-175F switch, thoughts? Thanks for your time.  

@ Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Thanks for the info; that is exactly what I was looking for. I am curious if you see any advantage to twinning the fans as apposed to independent.  I am leaning to independent; i.e. leaving the A/C fan as is and adding in the electric rad fan to run off its own switch. My thought is this will reduce load on the alt. with the A/C fan acting as it should in an auxiliary capacity, though I could be over thinking this. Here is what I am going to use to add in the thermo switch instead of tapping in some where else.

@ Sasse

The pass through tstat is at 185F I believe.

Thank you for your thought.

HH

7 hours ago, hudsonhawk said:

@ Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Thanks for the info; that is exactly what I was looking for. ...

You're Welcome:)

7 hours ago, hudsonhawk said:

... I am curious if you see any advantage to twinning the fans as apposed to independent.  I am leaning to independent; i.e. leaving the A/C fan as is and adding in the electric rad fan to run off its own switch. ...

in my own humble opinion, having two different fans switching on and off at different temperatures, will only get one fan working almost all the time, the one with lower temperature will take the job first, avoiding the second one from working. Also, with A/C on, mainly the other fan will take the Job. Plus such setup complicates wiring unnecessarily... adding more parts and costs, thus means more points where the system might fail.

So, I kindly suggest you to wire both fans as I did, to simplify things and keep the setup closer to factory specs.

Kind Regards.

• Like 1