Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 gl10 turbo 4*4

Hi all, 

So i finally got this ea82t engine to start after many years of sitting. It has new coil, plugs, cap rotor, thermostat, vacuum lines, fuel lines, fuel pump.  Fired right up, a bit rough, leaky and smokey, but smoothed out after 15 mins of running. After it gets to temp, it has a heck of a time restarting.???? Any guidance for this. Also i did break the thermo vacuum valve and I capped off the lines that went to it..   

The 4 wheel drive button does not engage the tranny....??? Ideas for that. 

CTS = Coolant Temperature Sensor.

Check the vacuum lines to get the 4WD to engage.  Assuming they are the same in 1986 as 1992?  I know some cars had manual 4WD engagement, but if it has a switch, chances are it uses vacuum controlled by solenoid valves.  

Coolant Temperature Sensor.  It tells the ECU the engine temp, so it can adjust the amount of fuel.  A cold engine needs a lot more fuel to get started and run.  Oppositely, if the extra fuel is fed to a hot engine, it won't want to start or run well.

The CTS is a 2 wire sensor in the lower part of the thermostat housing.

Keep your eye open for a Factory Service Manual on ebay, etc.  There is no substitute. 

The actuator may not engage when stationary, unless the dog clutch/engagement mechanism is correctly aligned for it to slot in. 

Or there could be a hole in the vacuum actuator or vacuum line. Time to get stuck into the system and have a good look at it.

Cheers 

Bennie

Edited by el_freddo

4 hours ago, el_freddo said:

The actuator may not engage when stationary, unless the dog clutch/engagement mechanism is correctly aligned for it to slot in. 

Or there could be a hole in the vacuum actuator or vacuum line. Time to get stuck into the system and have a good look at it.

Cheers 

Bennie

Thanks bennie