Ultimate Subaru Message Board

no power steering after replacing steering rack

i replaced the steering rack on my 2001 outback this morning and after i finished i added fluid to the power steering steered left and right got power steering for about a minute or so in the driveway and when i went for a test drive the power steering vanished. came back home tryed steering left and right again the system is not pulling any more fluid out of the resivour and i have what feels like manual steering with 0 assist now. the power steering worked fine before the swap what am i doing wrong?

can delete or leave up for future reference. i got mad and floored it coming down my driveway and felt the power steering kick in for a second so when i got in the parking spot i revved the engine up to around 3500 while steering and could feel it coming and going until it finally had steady power steering and wasent fading out anymore. i had to rev the engine to get it to flow the rest throgh the rack.

• Like 2