Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil leak surprise

In recent days I've been going nuts trying to find a nasty oil leak with pressure in the front of the ea81. I checked the pressure sender, the oil filter, removed and rebuilt the oil pump, again, still had a leak, in the vicinity above the oil pump but ruled out the oil seal that I'd changed about two years ago. Today, I bought a drip pan with plans to pull the front pulley assembly and view it above the pump and view the seal. What I saw was good until I realized that the seal had somehow entered the engine still riding on the crankshaft within! So luck the oil didn't evacuate enough to blow the motor!

Misplaced oil seal.jpg

Seal is rigid in there. Anyone know how to extract this without hassle and a chain of catastrophe? I've tried prying it loose, it won't budge. Trying to refrain from removing the radiator and grill but I guess that's a start. Wish me luck. I've never seen this happen before.

1 hour ago, lrgvanman said:

Seal is rigid in there. Anyone know how to extract this without hassle and a chain of catastrophe? I've tried prying it loose, it won't budge. Trying to refrain from removing the radiator and grill but I guess that's a start. Wish me luck. I've never seen this happen before.

Something to this effect might work...A slide hammer might be worthwhile to try if you can't quite get it. Taking the radiator and grille off is well worth it, IMHO.

Edited by subaru1988
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

only thin metal in them, that will bend when you don't want it to ! It should just need an initial shock factor to start it off. And thinking how in PDR the guys sometimes heat the panels a little, to help their dent tools then warm up the metal from lots of little flexes, too get the molecules moving - chuck some heat in there before you pull ....

I have pulled them before when they were still where they were supposed to be but not where they'd ended up inside the case and up the shaft like this. This is so incredible. I have a few days to research for a pic of the crankshaft t find out just why the seal is stuck to it. Thanks for the advice. Happy motoring! I'll update maybe Monday.