Ultimate Subaru Message Board

starting issue possibly shifter button?

Hello and Aloha folks,

My 2001 Impreza L has a weird starting issue. Periodically when I turn the key I just hear a click. Other times it cranks and starts normally. I have already eliminated the battery. It seems that if I jiggle the lockout button on the shifter, it will start normally more frequently, but still not sure if the ignition switch is going bad or the brake light interface which allows the car to turn over is acting up...

Has anyone had a similar issue, and a remedy?

On one of my '96s the clutch switch went out and the starter wouldn't turn the engine over. It was hard to get to, so I just ran a hot wire from the battery to a momentary contact button switch which I mounted near the key. Turn the key to on, then make sure it's in neutral and press the button. I like that better than the original arrangement.

your automatic has a neutral safety switch... amongst other things

try moving the shift lever to the neutral position to start.. insert key, turn to "On" position... move shift lever to neutral... attempt to start car

also.. and i know this might sound like a silly question, but how easy is the lever to move? is it stiff? or easy? can you move it all the way to the 1 position easily? or is it difficult?

Reason I ask is because the shift cable that goes between that lever and the transmission actually broke on my 2002 Forester... i could shift from Park to Drive without too much effort, but it was stiff,  anything lower than that was damn near impossible. 1 was pretty much impossible

If it is at all stiff, or you can not get it to shift all the way down to 1, I am going to suggest that you get a new shift cable asap. not terribly expensive, and pretty easy to change IF you do it before it breaks, LOL

• Like 2

nels and heartless are right. If it reliably starts in N, some kind of neutral safety issue.

But, a 20 year-old car could easily need new contacts and maybe plunger in the starter solenoid. parts are available and maybe 2-3 youtube videos. Cheaper and better repair than typical rebuilt starters too. Sometimes, you whack the starter with a piece of 2x4 and it will start. That would point to a solenoid issue and not neutral safety.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1

Thank you all for the insight. It seems that trying to start the car in neutral still has an intermittent crank issue. But if I pop the switch on the handle a few times she'll start right up...lol

Is this switch easy to replace or repair?

16 hours ago, Mica353 said:

Thank you all for the insight. It seems that trying to start the car in neutral still has an intermittent crank issue. But if I pop the switch on the handle a few times she'll start right up...lol

You may try this; Next time you encounter this issue,  CAREFULLY!!! check for an overheating battery cable; I chased an intermittent starting issue (for months) on an old chevy truck. Ended up being a badly corroded battery cable. The end terminals were clean, but the cable itself was UGLY! (under the insulation, so you could not see it). This condition is an extreme fire hazard!      Like a thermal breaker, the resistance from the corrosion of the cable, causes it to heat to extreme temps, impeding current to the starter. Hope this helped, GOOD LUCK!

18 hours ago, Mica353 said:

i would suggest starting with downloading the Factory Service Manual (FSM) for your car from here:  http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/  and look for diagnostic stuff related to a) starting and/or b) shift lever operation

this kind of sounds like an inhibitor switch issue to me.. but i am no expert..

having the FSM and a good multimeter for testing components is a good place to start... and checking battery cables would not be a bad idea. Salt air can do strange things.